Sign in to follow this  
oxonian

Residential security camera setup - newbie here, please help

Hello friends,

I hope you are doing well. I put a rather complicated post in the system design section, so I am going to void that and ask a much simpler question here.

I am located in the Houston, TX area (USA) and need suggestions for a security camera for residential use.

I am a newbie, and have spent many hours reading this wonderful forum, but I still need help.

I am leaning towards the two popular brands - Hikvision or Dahau or a comparable brand.

My needs are:

1) Cameras around the house, with night vision and motion detection - preferably with a minimum weight setting, e.g. 75lbs to trigger the recording

2) If possible, I would like to be able to view the stream remotely

3) I have an entry gate that is 250 ft away from the house, it does not have an electric connection

4) Good quality and something that is hard to tamper with

I am fine with either an IP camera, or a NVR? Sorry, I am not getting the terminology correct.

Is there any way I can put a camera there as well? If not, please at least suggest a good setup for the home

I really appreciate your advice, this is for my senior citizen parents.

Thank you,

Oxonian

Hikvision cameras and systems will work. They have motion detection with adjustable sensitivity.

Mine pick up cats walking past and even bugs flying past.

Not sure about the distance to front gate unless you run a cat6 cable from recorder (NVR) to the camera.