rawraj

Will My internet bandwidth willl be used even when I don't..

I have a DVR camera HD.

It connects via GID(not IP and port)

I wanted to know if I connect the internet(or keep it on) will it use bandwidth, even when I am not viewing the camera through my APP.

The internet is there only to connect via app. We keep the camera one the entire day. And since its the same internet used at the office we keep the internet on.

Our camera Guy told us that since this DVR using GID to connect IP address it uses Bandwidth all the time.

Even when nobody is accessing it remotely.

He said a GID means that the Video is being uploaded to a server from where we are connecting to it.

I highly doubt that because I don't think the company(RI) does not have their own server.

So could someone please confirm if this is the case.

That is internet bandwidth will be used only when someone connects to it. Even in case of GID

Thank you

What is GID ?

Easiest way to find out, just unplug your internet connection (Phone/Cable/Fibre) from your internet router and see if LAN viewing still works.

If it doesn't, then it means it require internet (bandwidth) to works.

What is GID ?

Easiest way to find out, just unplug your internet connection (Phone/Cable/Fibre) from your internet router and see if LAN viewing still works.

If it doesn't, then it means it require internet (bandwidth) to works.

I dont know the acronym of it. But it is an ide which is something like thing fff873834ff

This is a unique Id. So you can connect to your DVR without the IP address (rather when you don't have a static IP)

There is not LAN viewing the DVR is directly connected to an Stand alone LCD monitor VIA a HDMI cable.

And its does keep working(obviously) with the internet off.

I am just wondering if this GID actually is created by a Remote Webserver.

But then that would not make sense because that Webserve will need a huge bandwidth.

I don't think the CCTV/DVR company will pay for that much bandwidth FOR LIFE!!

If its usng Bandwidth as per logic of my Camera Service GUY that its uploades to a Remote webserver. Then they should also be getting charged for bandwidth of constant upload to their webserver and they may be millions of not 1000s connected and that cost would be too huge they won't be able to give such a service without charging for it.

I can't figure out how GID works. I think it might a Dynamic IP forwarding service Who knows

Most likely it's a DDNS or P2P identification code.

DDNS require DVR to contact the server periodically to update the IP address.

P2P require the DVR to maintain a constant connection to the server for the server to establish a connection back to the DVR when your software client attempt to connect back to your DVR.

It should uses min bandwidth. Check your router, some router have build in function to monitor tx/rx of each device/port.

Most likely it's a DDNS or P2P identification code.

DDNS require DVR to contact the server periodically to update the IP address.

P2P require the DVR to maintain a constant connection to the server for the server to establish a connection back to the DVR when your software client attempt to connect back to your DVR.

It should uses min bandwidth. Check your router, some router have build in function to monitor tx/rx of each device/port.

I guessed as much I was looking for the name DDNS Thanks a million. I remember using such a service to connect to my wamp server remotely.

I also thought that they can't be uploading video to the serve but a connection is maintained that could be true.

thanks I will look for the data flow and check it.

thank you all for the replies.

I would not consider this question closed as I am assuming even Daryl733 is not sure

Anyone who is sure that it does not upload Video constantly can please reply.