ulterior_motive

16-20 x 3mp Camera system - Switch Related question

Hey guys, just ordered 1 x Hikvison camera (DS-2CD2132F-I) (http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Products_accessries_10531_i7559.html) to test but i need to spec out my build here.

Please refer to the following image.

I am looking at 16-20 3mp cameras. (all Hikvision and probably all DS-2CD2132F-I)

I am looking at a unmanaged switch because i wouldn't know how to operate a managed one.

I am looking at 2 Switches to control all cameras due to bandwidth traffic. (i calculated about 109 mbps for 10)

I am going to use BLUEIRIS because that's what i have been researching this past year.

I will have to go with 3 seperate NIC's due to my thought process (probably 3 x http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-products/gigabit-server-adapters/gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter.html or 2 of those Intel cards and the 3rd being the onboard NIC).

So main Question, Do you guys see any problems going with 2 unmanaged switches to control 20 cameras via 2 of the specified Intel NIC cards?

I'm pretty sure this next question is a yes but If i have 2 NIC's controlling 20 cameras via 2 switches can my 3rd NIC be used as my internet connection?

If my thought process is correct then i don't see why not, i just have to assign a IP to each camera because the Switch doesn't assign IP's and voila, should work?

Only reason why I'm asking is because i cant seem to find an answer when i google "2 switch ip camera" or "3 nic ip camera blue iris"

*******I added the Manufactures URL's instead of a Retailers URL's for educational purposes, if need be i can take them down.

297139945_SYSTEMCONFIG.png.40967be2d39f42bd7f2f84d56dc2037a.png

I don't see a need for 3 switches in that scenario. You could get a Cisco SF300-24PP switch, and plug everything (cameras, PC, and router) into that. If your router does dhcp, you could let it assign the ip addresses to the cameras. The router may even let you assign ip reservations for everything, or you can manually assign them.

I don't see a need for 3 switches in that scenario. You could get a Cisco SF300-24PP switch, and plug everything (cameras, PC, and router) into that. If your router does dhcp, you could let it assign the ip addresses to the cameras. The router may even let you assign ip reservations for everything, or you can manually assign them.

One thing i didn't add to the picture, the switch between the router and the pc also manages about 7 other devices, so that's why i have 3 switches on display.

The switch you mentioned Cisco SF300-24PP switch is a Managed switch and i don't know how to configure a managed switch.

My problem lies with gigabyte only being 130 mbps (best case scenario) and the bandwidth for 20 cameras running at 3mp is about 220 mbps.

That's why the cameras are connected to two switches for bandwidth balancing.

At the end of the Day, Can a PC with 3 NIC's connect to 2 switches each having 10 camera using 1 NIC a piece and 1 NIC for internet?

Compare megabits to gigabits. 1000 Mbps = 1 Gbps. You could use an unmanaged switch if you like. I was suggesting a managed one because you could reboot the cams without physically touching them if they lock up or something. They're not hard at all to manage. You could even treat it as an unmanaged switch if you'd like or just get an unmanaged POE Gbps switch. If 24 ports isn't enough, then get one with the number of ports you need or use multiple switches.

Compare megabits to gigabits. 1000 Mbps = 1 Gbps. You could use an unmanaged switch if you like. I was suggesting a managed one because you could reboot the cams without physically touching them if they lock up or something. They're not hard at all to manage. You could even treat it as an unmanaged switch if you'd like or just get an unmanaged POE Gbps switch. If 24 ports isn't enough, then get one with the number of ports you need or use multiple switches.

What i gather from your answer, plug them all into one switch and connect that to the PC, but wouldn't i have bandwidth issues?

From what i know,

A switch that claims gigabit speed is generally going to be in and around 120 megabytes per second transfer speed.

if 1 camera used 11 megabytes per second and i multiply that by 20 i get 220 megabytes of traffic per second.

I'm also avoiding managed switches due to cost,

- about 400 Canadian for Cisco SG300-20 and

- about 200 Canadian for a Intel EXPI9402PTBLK Dual port NIC

Unmanaged Switch will cost me about $150 Canadian for a Netgear Prosafe

and each NIC will be about $50 Canadian each for a Intel card

I dont care about POE because i have a PSU connected to my fuse box which im going use and make a DIY POE injector

What i gather from your answer, plug them all into one switch and connect that to the PC, but wouldn't i have bandwidth issues?

From what i know,

A switch that claims gigabit speed is generally going to be in and around 120 megabytes per second transfer speed.

if 1 camera used 11 megabytes per second and i multiply that by 20 i get 220 megabytes of traffic per second.

I'm also avoiding managed switches due to cost,

- about 400 Canadian for Cisco SG300-20 and

- about 200 Canadian for a Intel EXPI9402PTBLK Dual port NIC

Unmanaged Switch will cost me about $150 Canadian for a Netgear Prosafe

and each NIC will be about $50 Canadian each for a Intel card

I dont care about POE because i have a PSU connected to my fuse box which im going use and make a DIY POE injector

You mixing up megabytes and megabits big time !

Your cameras most likely will stream at ~ 3-4 megabits (each)

now do your calculations again

All you need one 24 port switch and 2 network connections in your computer