Subhakar

why should i go with 3MP&5MP ,when NVR's support 1080P Res.

Now a days all are using 3MP & 5MP IP cameras Commonly. But I have an Doubt from so many days, What is the purpose of Installing 3MP & 5MP cameras, if Most NVR's supports Video Output/Capability at only 1080P(2MP) Rec. Resolution?

Most Manufacturers are giving in there specifications, supports Live View/Playback Resolution 5MP,3MP,1080P,720P.......... but when it comes to capability, supports only upto 1080P Resoultion.

im not able to understand these technical terms. Please try to clarify my doubt.

Is there Quality difference in video Playback?

Till now i haven't installed 3MP or 5MP cameras.

It goes to the goal of a security camera which is to capture what happened.

NVRs do vary, but take something such as the Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/P. It can record up to a 5 megapixel resolution. So the 3MP, 4MP, or 5MP camera gets fully recorded just fine.

Now the playback output is 1080P.

Which lines up with the majority of monitors/TVs out there in 2016 being 1080P.

But the recording is still in 5MP (or whatever the camera recorded it as).

So on playback, if a person wants to see the higher resolution, they can zoom in and see it. Just like an iPhone or Android smart phone where the photos are captured in 8MP or higher, but the screen is only around 1080P, so zooming in on the photo afterward to see whatever detail.

Same deal with the high-MP NVRs, the recording still has the detailed resolution to zoom in on when needed.

NVRs with higher playback resolution are appearing. There's the Hikvision DS-7608NI-S that can playback up to 2560x1920. And a few manufacturers at the Vegas security show a couple weeks ago were showing NVRs (and cams) with 4K resolution (about 8.3MP) to line up with the 4K budding trend with TVs.

How many years will we all have 88" 4K monitors in our bathrooms? 5 years? 12 years?

Maybe by then, 27MP monitors will be coming out?

It goes to the goal of a security camera which is to capture what happened.

NVRs do vary, but take something such as the Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/P. It can record up to a 5 megapixel resolution. So the 3MP, 4MP, or 5MP camera gets fully recorded just fine.

Now the playback output is 1080P.

Which lines up with the majority of monitors/TVs out there in 2016 being 1080P.

But the recording is still in 5MP (or whatever the camera recorded it as).

So on playback, if a person wants to see the higher resolution, they can zoom in and see it. Just like an iPhone or Android smart phone where the photos are captured in 8MP or higher, but the screen is only around 1080P, so zooming in on the photo afterward to see whatever detail.

Same deal with the high-MP NVRs, the recording still has the detailed resolution to zoom in on when needed.

NVRs with higher playback resolution are appearing. There's the Hikvision DS-7608NI-S that can playback up to 2560x1920. And a few manufacturers at the Vegas security show a couple weeks ago were showing NVRs (and cams) with 4K resolution (about 8.3MP) to line up with the 4K budding trend with TVs.

How many years will we all have 88" 4K monitors in our bathrooms? 5 years? 12 years?

Maybe by then, 27MP monitors will be coming out?

Here is "zoom" examle for him

1441156679_zoomsample1.thumb.jpg.93545b4dd53b953412d1ff2b6bc4de15.jpg

@zr1 Thanks for your prompt reply to clarify my doubt.

@ak357 thanks for your image which gives me further clarity.