Subhakar

Cabling Distances Confuses me alot

Hi all,

I have an doubts regarding cabling Distances particularly for video signals,Please try to clarify my doubts(forget about Power Supply, i will give power near to camera which exceeds 200ft.)

For AHD/HDTVI/HDCVI Cameras(Forget About power)

1. How much Distance can we run the cameras from DVR using siamese cables(RG59 & RG6).

2. Further how much we prolong the distances using Passive Baluns.

3. Using UTP(Cat5e & Cat6) how much distance we can run with & without Baluns.

4. If we use UTP Cables how many pairs is sufficient to run the video signal(I heard 1 Pair is enough).

For IP Cameras(Forget about POE & Power):

1. Which is Better cable CAT5e or CAT6.

2. How many Pairs are enough for cost Reduction - 2pair or 4pair(only for Video)?.

3. How Much max. distance can we run the single cable with out using Switch & Baluns?

4. Options for prolong the distance?

OFC:

If, i have to run the fiber for 2km(2000Mtrs) from NVR & i have to connect the one IP camera for every 500Mtrs(total 4 cameras upto 2km).

So, from above case,is 1 lead fiber is enough or 4leads(4 fiber) fiber Required?

Don't irritate with my Questions please try to answer my questions.

Like everything in life it is not that black & white

1) Ignoring other problems the distance will depend on the quality of the cable. RG6 has a lower DC resistance and hence lower signal attenuation resulting in greater transmission distances. Cables can come in copper , copper clad aluminium & copper clad steel. These all have differing attenuation figures. Keep in mind that RG6 is NOT the best cable to use for cctv due to the shielding being optimised for RF frequencies rather than CCTV baseband frequencies.

2) In the context of CCTV , passive baluns are not for use on coax cables

3) Again it will depend on WHICH cat cable you use as they have differing DC resistance

4) You can ONLY use ONE pair for your signal path. Use multiple pairs and it wont work

1) Cat6 is better than cat 5 due to attenuation figures & bandwidth

2) Again you can ONLY use ONE pair for the signal

3) Depends on which cable you use AND your cabling techniques

4) The same as for any network configuration

OFC - there is no need for more than one fibre. Just get the correct muxing equipment

@the toss...still i have doubts...

For AHD,HDTVI,HDCVI:

1.If i use best Quality RG59 with copper cladding, Then how much distance will i run the cable?

2.Same Question,For both CAT5 & CAT6 with & without Baluns.

FOR IP's:

1.If i use CAT5 how much distance can i run the cable from NVR to Camera with out using Switch?

2.Same Question for CAT6.

cat 5 and 6 should only be run for a max of 328 feet or approx 100 meters if your are using IP

if you do end up using fiber I would run either a spare fiber or at least run multi pair fiber even if you do not terminate all the pairs you will have spares if the orginal fiber pair has a problem.