Sign in to follow this  
Code_Nerd

CCTV Home Networking Advice

Hi, I' new to this forum and looking for some advice.

I have started looking into getting CCTV (IP Cameras) for my house and how to implement utilising mostly equipment I already have. Initial thought are to go with one of the Swann IP Camera kits. I am after advice on my initial design, see link here --> https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6569821788D9AAD6!946&authkey=!ADcav_QvVG8CfIc&ithint=file%2cpdf

The points I am having trouble with are below:

1. Can I connect the NVR to a LAN port on my Study WAP and will this affect network speed and/or security of CCTV. We stream a lot of Netflix / Stan etc and do a fair bit of online gaming and would not want to affect the performance of these devices.

2. My research has identified that I may need to look into VLANs to seperate the CCTV network from the "general" household network. Would I need to implement this at the Billion or the Thomson Switches? The Billion looks easy enough to do however the Thomson appears to be a bit trickier i.e. No GUI.

3. Prefer not to get another cable from garage to study installed as per my design. Can I run home network through the POE Switch? I suspect this has a similar answer to point 1?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

VLan doesn't reduce the throughput the Cameras uses.

It basically segregate the group of network virtually from another vlan group for various reason, mainly security.

If the network cameras uses 50Mbps, it's still 50Mbps gone.

You might want to go with simple standard installation.

Get a NVR with LAN POE port.

Cameras connect to the LAN POE port.

WAN port connect to your rest of the network.