5aq1b

CCTV Cable Run & Recommendation

I'm moving in to a new house and taking advantage while it's empty and having solid core Cat6 run throughout the house, terminating to the cupboard under the stairs into a patch panel.

I'm also planning on having cable running to 3 CCTV points. My question is - do I need to use the same solid core Cat6 UTP cable for this? Surely this won't be going from the patch panel to a keystone jack faceplate, but instead I'm assuming it will be going from the patch panel (or even switch) directly into the CCTV camera itself? Therefore a longer strand 'patch cable' should suffice?

Any help would be appreciated!

Also - I know the sky is the limit but can anyone recommend a good PoE CCTV cam sufficient for home use, from a UK supplier?

i would use the cat6 for everything as who knows what the next generation of IP stuff will need as far as bandwidth and speed. Think about what other equipment you may want to add and run spares. even if not terminated they may well come in handy for additional cameras or other equipment. I don't know if you have netgear in England but I have had good luck with their POE equipment and find the price pretty good.

i would use the cat6 for everything as who knows what the next generation of IP stuff will need as far as bandwidth and speed. Think about what other equipment you may want to add and run spares. even if not terminated they may well come in handy for additional cameras or other equipment. I don't know if you have netgear in England but I have had good luck with their POE equipment and find the price pretty good.

Thanks and yep we have Netgear.

Does the solid core cable from the patch panel get crimped at the other end and go directly into the camera? Isn't this against best practice? Or does it go into a surge protector?