baggers

Connecting day & Night camera , to 4-way splitter box.

I am trying to connect a 12volt colour camera that I have just purchased with PIR and sound, to my existing system. The 4-way splitter box has a 5-way plug for each camera, with 12v+ / 12Vneg-screen/ vid/ audio/ trigger.

The new camera has three leads, red-12v supply, yellow-Video, and a white for the audio. I have connected the 12v ok, I have connected the yellow to the video connection , and the white to the audio connection. The resulting picture is mainly red with a sort of yellow haize. Could it be that the camera is not compatible with my PAL system? I don't think the camera is faulty, as I have already had it replaced. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

It sounds like you might have an NTSC camera. Where did you get it from? Any name, model number, etc. to help track down it's origin? You might want to try feeding it directly into the video input on a TV and bypass the combiner box you are using just to see if you get a picture straight into a PAL monitor.

I purchased the camera from an e/bay supplier, see link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4167721235

On the box it came in. the PAL box is ticked ,as opposed to the NTSC.

I have tried connecting direct to my vid,in connection on my computers VGA card, and the picture is still as bad. I don't have a cam input on my TV, but I think a friend has one on his, so will try it out on his TV later.

i would check your wiring again. it could be that you havent grounded the camera properly on the video side of things. if you have an NTSC camera, i dont think you picture would turn red. if anything it would seems as though it were constantly flipping as a result of the frequency differences.

Judging from the E Bay listing I'm pretty sure it is PAL compatible, so you have a hookup problem. You should run the video out into a composite video monitor or a TV with a video input. It won't work on a VGA monitor of course. I don't know what you are trying to hook it into, is it some type of package system you got that uses telephone style connectors instead of RCA or BNC? Also your original system might actually be NTSC.

are you getting audio? I connected up a similar system 'once' and as far as I remember, I used:

Red - Positive

Yellow - Video Center

White - negative - video and audio

sorry, Looks like a normal audio camera, my bad

Just looked at the ebay link.

Hmmm, high resolution 380TVL, wow that Ebay seller really doesnt know their stuff!

Wow, infrared also

Rory

Well I have tried all your suggestions, plugging direct into a friend's tv in the Camera socket, even splashed out on a regulated supply unit, but the picture would not improve. The only thing I did notice was, when pointed at the blue sky, the picture was perfect, even the colour was 99% accurate.I have now returned the camera to the supplier, who has agreed to refund in full .

Many thanks for all your help and adcvice.