Adam Daley

Changing Camera Names, Remotely

I just setup a client with 7 DVR's (GeoVision GV-800 16 ports in each) and a Center V2 workstation. We have TCP, Webcam and CenterV2 running on them. Is there a way to remotely change the names of the cameras. This client is huge and the DVR's are scattered throughout an entire NYC block (no joke, they literally have an office that takes up a NYC block on 2 floors). Also, the time sync feature for Center V2, does that actually work? We set it up but the DVR's seemed to have different times.

Not unless you have VNC or Remote Desktop setup on hge DVRs ..

If you know some programming you could write a small client server winsock program, send them the client file (as you will be the main server for all) to place on each computer, they click on the file and it does its thing, sets itself up on startup and waits for your connection, which then you can connect to any of them anytime and update the ini file.. that ini file has the camera names.

We didn't put pcanywhere or VNC on the machines, big corporation so they didn't want all that opened up. But we did enable all the features in CenterV2, such as the remote desktop tool, im not sure what that is used for, any idea?

Geo is really lacking in that area, compared to even the cheaper cards.

I always totally disable Remote Desktop on all PCs and DVRs, hackers are always looking for Remote Desktop enable PCs .. it is enabled by default in XP, as are other things that make the PC vulnerable. I use Ultra VNC as an alternative.

Basically once you have forwarded the ports for it, and if using Port Filtering have enabled its port (as should be using on PC DVRs for security reasons) then you should be able to create a Remote desktop connection and connect to it.

VNC and Remote desktop in the end are essentially the same as PC anywhere, they allow control of the remote PC's desktop.

I dont have any trouble sharing my desktop. I access my work/home pc via PcAnywhere, every one of our clients with a DVR/Point of sale system, we have pcanywhere setup so we can get in for updates/support/etc... we password all the pcanywhere machines and put them on certain ports... we do a LOT of dvr's, im doing about 6 or so systems within a week or two, we have a ghost system setup with a ghost image for a 4 port, 8 port and 16 port system. we usually have aboutt 5 or so DVR machines ready to go and our local geovision reseller is local so we pickup our cards all the time from them... but this is a HUGE client and they don't play games, like i said, they take up 2 floors of a NYC block (yes a BLOCK), HUGE HUGE place with lots of data rooms (yeah i envied what they had there), so they dont open up ports for anybody, so they didnt put pcanywhere on, and i hate to tell them they hafta walk to each of their 7 systems to rename cameras, be nice if they coudl use geovision software remotely to do it, but so far nobody seems to have a solution from geovision that allows this

no its not included in the actual software. ...

If you ask me, they could spend alot more time on their remote software side .. even Digiflower has that feature

Now back to me .. if it was worth it ($) i could easily write a program to search the network for Geo DVRs and rename the cameras .. maybe would take a couple days .. though yeap, would be nice to have something already installed.

hey guys

Are all systems on the same Network. IF so consider Geovision's NEW Control Centre Software instead of cente V2

I have it running and controlling 3 x DVR systems. Has Remote Desktop option and you can change name of cameras as well as many other options.

The only thing it lacks is PTZ control. but this can be setup through I/O or with keyboard control.

Hi, Actually Remote Desktop is a windows program and must be enabled in the Windows XP Software for it to work.

Also, it is available in the other remote Geo Programs, including WebCam, and also is available in the older versions.

But its not what he is looking for, we do the same with VNC .. only safer.

Rory

Ahh .. yeah thats what i was wondering ..

"Remote DVR Configuration: Full control of local DVR settings

The Remote DVR facilitates the administrator to remotely configure local GV-System’s specific settings from one single workstation. When the Remote DVR is on the run, the local GV-System loses its full control of the DVR operations and the Control Center takes full control of the configuration."

Still it wont help him with pre 8.0 systems .. personally I still feel 8.0 software is only for beta or test systems until further bugs have been ironed out. But its good to know. As a programmer though, its my opinion that it should be part of the main program, even if it is a seperate software ... thats my major issue with Geo, all the different programs.; clients just want one main program, they dont need to know about all the other 20 programs associated with it. Though I dont use their remote software anyway, as I use my own version.

Folks please read what i write... I KNOW how to do remote access via VNC/pcanywhere, i WILL NOT use those, they dont want that... i DID enable the remote operation stuff in that center area (center v2 or the control center, i know i enabled a bunch of ports for different things)... each of the 7 DVR's has specific ports for everything, basically theres about 50 or so various ports we setup for everything from webcam to TCP to the center v2/control center stuff.... so i have to install another program to remotely rename the cameras? this GV-Control Center? i thought that was the same thing as CenterV2, so basically CenterV2 and Control Center are 2 different programs?

8... i emailed my client and let them know that we can do it all with the GV-Control Center software but they will have to buy it

Yes you will need to get it from your distributor.

The software is easy to obtain but whatever machine is the control centre needs to have a special USB Dongle in order for Control Center to work.

They charge for it .. Hmmm, I think Ill throw together a little admin program tonight, and let yall know ..

Well gluck with the admin program, but you REALLLY are not reading what im writing dude, i dont wanna be a jerk or nothing, but i already know how to remotely admin my DVRs, i can remotely admin ALL of my client's DVRs. I dont want some home made thing, i was hoping there was a program made by geovision, AND THERE IS... i have a usb key for the CenterV2 already, im going to see if they want to buy Control Center suite and use that, since the center v2 isnt that great anyway, it doesnt work as great as we had hoped. The GV-Control Center sounds like it'll work out a lot better then centerv2

Right, and then you will have to port forward that port also ..

But let us know how it works out ..

As for home made, take a look at the liveVue Geo program on my home page and you will see that it beats their remote software hands down.

Not really, its a local lan, no need to port forward. BUT we had them put the ports in their routers anyway in case they wanted access from home. But all the ports are already setup, its just a matter of installing the software.

Oh okay, i thought your wanted to do it remotely ... yeah then you'll be straight .. i still wish it was built into the main software, but i guess as long as Geo thinks they can get away with it they will never integrate it .. this software may use a different port though . but you could porbably access their router anyway ..