jits1980

Qsee Camera System BNC to Cat5?

I just bought a system from Costco...I know not the best but will work for what I need....My question is weather I should buy long cables I need 200ft+ in some areas or should I convert to Cat5 using Baluns? I have one area in which 4 camera are going to be in the same area about 200ft away should I run those to a 4 Channel Video Transmitter Receiver and run one CAT5 cable to the unit? Let me know I was about to order the BNC cables until I stumbled upon this forum and now have some different ideas if it will work properly. Thank you all for your help.

RG6 cable that is 100% copper and 100% wire mesh shield works always best and it gives you less failures and thus, less of a headache in the future.

Having said that, most of us prefer UTP Cat5e stranded cable (100% copper, tight twist) coz it is easier to handle. Video Power Baluns are always preferred coz they use the RJ45 ports and connectors and transmit both: video and power over the same cable run. The limit on those is 100 meters. Video Baluns (only video) will extend your signal to 400 meters (you just gotta make sure to make a good connection and get it well protected too)

What you propose is also valid: 4 cameras going to a hub video balun using coax cable and from there to another hub with UTP cable. The receiver hub then hooks up each channel to the DVR.

Good luck with your system!

Gregory Rovira and 54C9 logging off!