ThomasPI

Prewire for POE IP Surveillance Cameras

Looking for some input. During our planning process with building a new house, we want to prewire the house for POE IP Surveillance Cameras in set locations. We plan to have all wires feed to one central location where the DVR will record the feed from the cameras. That is the extent of my knowledge. I am thinking Cat6 wire for the prewire or is there a better solution? Are these run through a conduit or? At each location on the outside of the house since the cameras will not be installed from the outset, are these just wired into a junction box of sorts or? What type of box is used? This is without a doubt the best time to do this. We will have 6 to 8 POE cameras installed over time. Any help, is appreciated. Illustrations, photos, site links and the like.

If indeed Cat6 is the way to go, any recommended specifics? At this point, cameras are not even on the list but making sure the prewire is done right is right at the top of our list.

Thanks !

Hi. Yes you are right cat6 to each location of each camera

I would also at your stage run cat6 to tv points ... Even door bell points

Any network alterations you can take hole building is always an advantage

make sure its solid copper wire, no CCA/copper clad aluminum junk...be vigilant about that since some unscrupulous installers will try and use it to save a few dollars.