freeflyer

NVT / UTP NEWB - NVT advice required- please help

Hi

Installing a system using UTP (Cat5e) for the first time (cables already run) and will be using the UTP for power (12V DC) as well as video signal. Cams (6 of) will have NVT modules already fitted & are all located (Exterior) 15 to 30 metres away from building where DVR is located & power will be supplied from.

I need advice on what NVT kit to use at the DVR end that will allow me to use RJ45 connectors on the power out / video receive end and deal with both. I’d prefer the minimum amount of equipment to perform the task of power & video signal from the same location.

Question 1; Is there an NVT device, hub or patch panel that I can connect the RJ45 from cams into that can deal with outputting the power & turning the video in channels into BNC for the DVR?

Question 2; Will I also need separate PSU’s to feed power into this NVT equipment?

Question 3; if answer to Q2 is Yes, is there a PSU box that can deal with various Amp outputs (2 X 2amp & 4 X 1 Amp) for all cams in one unit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Other notes:

6 exterior cams, all away from building

Power supply & DVR (GV1480) based in building

Cams; IDN

2 X Extreme EX80 @ 2Amp each

2 x Extreme EX38 @ 1 Amp each

2 X WizKid WZ46ZN @ 1 Amp each

1245447865_baseplandiagram1.thumb.JPG.96c933fbce52d2f29474cb2a7bd827bb.JPG

ill take a closer look when i get back, but straight off you wont want to power the EX80's over UTP, posibbly also not the EX38, ill check on that one.

Thanx again for your help Rory, I guess I owe you a beer or three!

I have talked to Derwent UK (who explained that I could have the Cams supplied with NVT fitted) after I explained that I aim to use UTP, the chap said this would be fine, but with all due respect to him, he's Derwent rather than Extreme and isn't the man on the ground actually installing this equipment like you do.

Note: (1) I cannot put the cams on the property itself as it is Grade II Listed (i.e. historically important and therefore the authorities don't let you even fart in it without a whole heap of paperwork & permissions) they will not allow cams on the building so I need the cams strategically placed off the building itself and need to run power down the same cable as video to minimise the noticability of the cabling.

(2) I am sold on Extreme IDN for the task at hand and feel they are the only option for what we need

(3) The UTP has been run already on catenary wire from the top floor of the property to the cam locations at 8 to 10 metre height and placed in galvanised conduit at entry to the property & anywhere that can be reached by a ladder to protect cable & prevent cutting.

I would really like to not have to re run these cables but am prepared to do so if it is impossible to avoid, does it look like Siamese / combination is required?

Ok, there are a few things that you need to do:

1st, extreme cameras and Ir's are VERY VERY power hungry. For this case, you should double up the pairs for the power, one strand is, in my opinion, not safe enough. You can still use one pair for video with no problems.

To answer your question on the unit, you need to tell us how far are the cameras from where you are planning to use the NVT reciever, they recommend anything over 750' to be active transivers.

Second, what NVT modules are you using at the cameras?

Post this information and I can provide you with an answer.

I'm finishing a job just like yours, and it was a lot of trial and error to get everything working 100%.

I ran EX80s over 50' on doubled and trippled up twisted pair and they kept dying, had to change it all for 18AWG and then was fine after that. A collegaue was the one with the idea to use twisted pair ...

I ran EX80s over 50' on doubled and trippled up twisted pair and they kept dying, had to change it all for 18AWG and then was fine after that. A collegaue was the one with the idea to use twisted pair ...

Uhm..... I think I know what collegaue was that.....

Hi Securitymaster & Rory

EX80’s & EX38’S are approx 15m from property & cable runs are approx 20 to 25 metres (80 feet) end to end. I have not run cables for the WizKids yet which will have runs of approx 60 feet. NVT module selection at cam end was up to me so this is flexible around my requirements I guess, but I was looking at the NV-216A-PV (new model that allows power via the NVT too)

One of my problems was that the NVT spec sheets only offer info on 24V AC - I only have experience with 12V DC (UK base) so was aiming to use this. I have not ordered any of the kit yet so am open to any power solution that can be plugged into UK mains (240V) and fit within regs. Was aiming to use Dantech multi PSU kit.

As I am not a pro like you guys, I guess the best route for me is the one with the easiest install that offers the least amount of issues or possible problems, I just don’t have the experience to be able to do trial & error or come up with the right answers if it doesn’t work early on, but I am eager to do this install myself and learn on the job.

All internal cabling has to be hidden and with the property being 350+ years old this isn’t easy, so I went for UTP to make this easier to hide. On the exterior I do not have the option of cable burial.

I had a boom lift at the property for a week for renovations to the roof and decided to run the UTP Cat5e on catenary wire while I was up there hoping it would suffice, I am open to changing this and re running cables as I want the best (& most reliable) solution for this system.

So in a nutshell, I guess I need some help on the following (bearing in mind I am a relative newb)

What is the best route forward with cabling for power & video for the IDN cams that allows me to run from property at height via catenary wire to cams locations (It needs to be as unnoticeable as possible)?

As the cabling will be suspended at height rather than buried, what type do I need? i.e. UV protected etc?

What type of termination would you recommend?

Which way should I be going regards Power supply to cams? Is 12V DC OK? (I am sure in the UK exterior has to be low voltage) Again open to all advice.

Should I / Do I need to be using NVT kit; I want quality images & the most reliable solution so am happy to pay the extra for it. Maybe moving locations in the mid to long term and future runs will no doubt be longer anyway.

Sorry about the length of post folks-

Thanx - freeflyer