Sign in to follow this  
fred3

Common barrel connectors for 12vdc power

I run a computer and networking business in a rural area. So, I end up being the go-to guy for things electronic. With the computer and networking integration of surveillance cameras, I naturally get called in to deal with camera systems. I've worked in the electronics and video industries so I know enough about a lot of things EXCEPT practical things about camera systems. This is the kind of thing that YOU deal with every day and I rarely deal with.

I have to replace an 8-output 12vdc box that's failed. There are 2 in the facility and I replaced the other early this year. The old boxes come with female barrel connector outputs. The new boxes require that I add pigtailed connectors. So, I bought those separately. The other end goes into a manufactured siamese cable.

As I recall, I had to adapt the other output pigtails to match the siamese cable end. And there are so many of those )#%)#%(& barrel connector types.

For example, theses:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N8C49OA/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XVJPVRWX6RXRMCN5W9C9

The seller says they are NOT 5.5 - 2.1 exactly and won't work because the center conductor pins/sockets are a bit greater than 2.1mm (but are clearly not 2.5mm) ... and only that they *will* work together.

I take it that cameras have a 5.5 - 2.1mm male power plug. So may I assume that all (or most) siamese cables come with a female 5.5-2.1 socket at the camera end and a 5.5-2.1 plug at the other end?

If you had to buy pigtails for a power supply, what would you buy?

What are these things called. Well, OK, I know they are barrel connectors but what about types / sizes?

I can either buy things at a local tiny Radio Shack shop or I can obviously buy on the internet. But the latter requires knowing what to buy, what it's called, etc. So many times (like the link above) they don't even call out a type/size, etc.