Zyra Tech

Ok, let's have it! What's the best?????

Alright, money isn't the deciding factor. What is the best computer based system out there that fits the following criteria?

1. Picture quality both local and remote

2. stability

3. remote functionality (ie. being able to easily view log files, etc. from a remote local.

I need a system that has a good remote interface (can be downloadable client software, ie not web based) so I don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard for the dedicated dvr server once set up and running. I want the client to have full accessibility from a computer on the LAN.

Probably the thing that is most important is video quality. Both in live view, recorded images, and remote view. I am getting frustrated with the products I have been using in this regard. Picture quality sucks. I have clients that have the money to spend on the systems. I just can't find one that I feel good selling them.

I really appreciate any feedback on this.

One of the best and most enduring PC based systems is the IDIS. You can find it under about 3 or 4 brands. I found it under the Eastman Telebell name and will post a link. I think it is also under Honeywell, Samsung, Capture, and maybe ATV. They have really done a great job with the system but it isn't inexpensive. They don't sell the boards so you have to buy a complete system.

http://www.eastmansecurity.com/

Here is the site for Idis in Korea

http://www.idis.co.kr/#

I guess the next question is who sells the best product that you can purchase the boards and make your own system? We've found you lose too much margin when you can't configure your own system. Maybe I'm just greedy!

Thanks for the reply, I'm checking out thier website right now. Looks like the demo is down while they are redoing the website.

You know what, what difference does it really make? What's the major pros and cons of dedicated vs. cpu-based? All I really need is a good product that I can stand behind.

Please keep the info coming.

I was over at a customers yesterday who builds several types of DVRs depending on the installation. He used DigiFlower a lot but he also started to use VPON. I'll post a link below. He raves about them. I saw the unit in operation and it looks pretty good. He says that it is going to be the unit he uses most of in the future. He does large chains such as Ralphs, Winchells Donuts, Carl's Jr., etc. He does a lot of research into different PC based DVRs for his projects and right now DigiFlower and VPON are his top two. For embedded he likes the Nuvico/Vitek.

http://www.aegismicro.com/home/home.htm

i dont loose any margin, i mark it up so i make some profit

most jobs start at around $15K.

I was over at a customers yesterday who builds several types of DVRs depending on the installation. He used DigiFlower a lot but he also started to use VPON. I'll post a link below. He raves about them. I saw the unit in operation and it looks pretty good. He says that it is going to be the unit he uses most of in the future. He does large chains such as Ralphs, Winchells Donuts, Carl's Jr., etc. He does a lot of research into different PC based DVRs for his projects and right now DigiFlower and VPON are his top two. For embedded he likes the Nuvico/Vitek.

http://www.aegismicro.com/home/home.htm

Thanks so much for the info. I'll look into them. I appreciate the reply.

i dont loose any margin, i mark it up so i make some profit

most jobs start at around $15K.

That's exactly where most of my jobs hover around so I've got some room to get the equipment I want specified. I rarely go up against other bidders at this point. I'm just to the point where I want to settle on a product that will work very well.

I am sticking with GE Kalatel for right now, they work well, easy to use and install, and great support, if needed.

As for bids, same here, rarely have any other companies bidding, normally its someone that comes to me and knows the want the best video quality. Over here though there really isnt anyone else doing CCTV, professionally at least, there are alot selling cheap equipment, plumbing companies, electronic stores, locksmiths, etc, they all do too much other things, dont even know what products they are selling, just rely on the Miami distributor to send them whatever they think will work. Or they have been approached by email/mail from asia on unknown brands at low low costs, that barely do the job (not the asian products discussed on this forum, other ones).

Im going into Home Theatre now also, as being it is Audio/Video, it goes hand in hand with CCTV now, and will be a great way to test CCTV on the new Plasmas and LCDs.

Also, they have some computer companies here selling PC card DVRs, but ill leave them to that, it may be cheaper, but more time consuming, Im in it for the fun, but also the money, and I would rather spend more time on making sure the cameras are getting the best quality, than on setting up a PC. I can install and demo a Kalatel DVR in 5-15 minutes, its so simple to use and install, its why we pay the price for these all in ones, they already do everything for you.

I am sticking with GE Kalatel for right now, they work well, easy to use and install, and great support, if needed.

As for bids, same here, rarely have any other companies bidding, normally its someone that comes to me and knows the want the best video quality. Over here though there really isnt anyone else doing CCTV, professionally at least, there are alot selling cheap equipment, plumbing companies, electronic stores, locksmiths, etc, they all do too much other things, dont even know what products they are selling, just rely on the Miami distributor to send them whatever they think will work. Or they have been approached by email/mail from asia on unknown brands at low low costs, that barely do the job (not the asian products discussed on this forum, other ones).

Im going into Home Theatre now also, as being it is Audio/Video, it goes hand in hand with CCTV now, and will be a great way to test CCTV on the new Plasmas and LCDs.

Also, they have some computer companies here selling PC card DVRs, but ill leave them to that, it may be cheaper, but more time consuming, Im in it for the fun, but also the money, and I would rather spend more time on making sure the cameras are getting the best quality, than on setting up a PC. I can install and demo a Kalatel DVR in 5-15 minutes, its so simple to use and install, its why we pay the price for these all in ones, they already do everything for you.

Thanks Rory. I'll look into the Kelatel unit and check out features. It's funny but I'm coming at this from the oppossite direction. I came from high-end custom home low voltage installations. We did home theater (dedicated and "great room"), security systems, cctv, phone, phone systems, satellite, audio video distribution, home automation, etc. All the homes are in the $800K to $1.8 million range. Never wanted to touch anything above that as you really get into some interesting characters. It's a great niche to form a referral based business.

I got sick of constantly being behind a learning curve doing to many things. Everything is constantly changing. I was tired of hitting multiple vendors for all the different equipment. Another thing you really need to watch out for is service calls. Make sure you have the manpower to handle all the "I can't do this, or I can't do that anymore". If you want to talk sometime to get some ideas I would be glad to do so.

thanks, you sound like the right person to talk to, ill see if I have any questions ill get back to you on them.

Im with you on all the manufacturers thing, thats why in CCTV I stick to just one or 2. I need to talk about this more with the US distributor who is setting us up with all this, as Im still in the dark as to which products we will be using. They will come down and train us (me) and Ill train a helper to start with. I dont invision too many jobs to start with, but like you said, service is still going to be an issue, as thats the downfall of most if not all other service businesses in this country.

Rory

Oh another thing, the majority of the homes we will essectially be dealing with will be 1-10mill, but then they are more expensive down here so it works out to about 3/4 to a 1/2 of that price in US.

I still say for:

Local video: Vendoma

Stability: Vendoma

Remote functionality: Vendoma

Still think their remote video is acceptable but could be better on their MPEG2.

I just got my hands on one of their new hardware MPEG4 boards and the quality is amazing but the price is steep. But I come back to the same thing if a few hundred dollars makes the difference on an overall project you probably shouldn't be doing it. But I just hate paying the extra dollars.

I am getting horrible local picture on the vendoma cards right now. It's getting frustrating. So far the answer they gave me is to use cheap cameras. I know, doesn't make sense to me. If I can't get a better pic, I'm going to be forced to change manufacturers which is a shame because I love the company and everything else about the product.

On local view, I can't get a good enough picture to make out facial details and anything that is a horizontal line in the camera view is horribly jagged. I've got compression turned all the way off and the highest resolution.

I know it's remote view, but show me ANY vendoma demo compared to even a Geo demo where the picture is even close to the same quality.

Edited by Guest

I keep hearing how the local video on Vendoma is second to none. Please show me what I'm doing wrong because I just don't see it.

Also what components are you using. Doesn't sound right because I get crisp as can be pictures. I know they are very quirky when it comes to using the right motherboards and video cards. I used to have some issues but went over to their preferred components and haven't had a problem since. My guess is its not the cameras and you can confirm that by obviously plugging them into another system to make sure you don't get the same thing.

Oh another thing, the majority of the homes we will essectially be dealing with will be 1-10mill, but then they are more expensive down here so it works out to about 3/4 to a 1/2 of that price in US.

Considering the deal that real estate is in Arizona right now, you are probably comparing apples to apples in both pricing ranges. tons of people are selling their basic homes in california and moving to arizona and buying huge homes because real estate and building is so cheap here right now. You can get a lot of home for the buck.

Also what components are you using. Doesn't sound right because I get crisp as can be pictures. I know they are very quirky when it comes to using the right motherboards and video cards. I used to have some issues but went over to their preferred components and haven't had a problem since. My guess is its not the cameras and you can confirm that by obviously plugging them into another system to make sure you don't get the same thing.

I've made sure everything is up to spec. So far, no luck. Any other suggestions?

have you tried the cameras direct into a CCTV monitor or TV, see how they are there first. Other than that, maybe video card or

software issue.

have you tried the cameras direct into a CCTV monitor or TV, see how they are there first. Other than that, maybe video card or

software issue.

Yup, I run the cameras directly into a cctv monitor to focus and aim the cameras.

Neverending, on one of the systems the card is installed in a Dell dimension 3 Ghz desktop. Should that have issues?

I'm using on board video for the most part.

Zyra, have you done any modifications to the programs that start up with that Dell? Dell adds alot of crap to thier OEM installs. Norton tends to be espically bad in creating install problems.

Zyra, have you done any modifications to the programs that start up with that Dell? Dell adds alot of crap to thier OEM installs. Norton tends to be espically bad in creating install problems.

Good call, but we start with Win XP pro and remove everything we can. We really strip it down. Everything we do is a stand alone computer. There are no other programs running on the system and the end user does not have access to the system. One of the things I really like about Vendomas system is we don't have to have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse at the server once we set it up because the user has the same gui at their desktop. Really slick. We try to bury the server as much out of the way as we can in the computer closet.