Sign in to follow this  
baspinall

Looking for an IR Illuminator .... I think

So I have a Hikvision 2132 2.8mm cam on a commercial site. Camera looks at a parking lot and walkway. Last night they had a car stolen from there. A flatbed came and scooped up a Yukon. My question is would an IR Illuminator helped here or should I be looking for a different model camera for this situation. The parking lot is approx. 150-200 ft from camera.

2 snapshots attached. The White Yukon there during the day. Them loading in up that night.

75_146_251.245_08_20161110235431382.thumb.jpg.ba6b2e1f2aabdb6b58670ddb43c77f13.jpg

1442541038_75_146_251.245_08_20161110235357988(Copy).thumb.jpg.d6a8903536b1bf6d30f63df61d35b509.jpg

Hi. More illumination would not give you anymore information than what you all ready have.

Even your daytime give not much info except there are cars parked there .... Would not pick up face or licence plate.

Does not look like a scoop. The suv was driven .... Lights on driving backwards.

I would guess a finance repo done with keys....... Why be able to drive the suv and only load onto a flatbed that's not a normal car theft.

Does your town or city have a camera system ?? I would ask them to look at time and date of flatbed passing them.

Yes I thought repo as well when I saw flatbed and them driving the car. Besides that fact. Would we be better off with a supplemental varifocal camera for that area to zoom in on the parking area? I know that wouldn't do much different for night but it would help in the daytime there correct?

Changing the lens won't stop car theft. Take a step back to work out what you want. Is anybody actually going to look at this stuff? If they are, what would they do about it? Do they need prompting in some way to look live? Or, what do they want to gain from a recording?

How can you improve the CCTV cover to facilitate all that?

IR coverage of a parking lot is a big (expensive) ask, probably better value to add normal lighting. Consider also coverage of any traffic funnel area e.g. site gateway or access road, its easier than a large area.