beedix

2x4 Backed Soffit - How?

I'm installing a dome on a soffit (DIY homeowner). I can't do a wall mount and i'm using a junction box to get the lens well below the fascia. The soffit is made of some sort of compressed cardboard-y material. From searching, I've heard folks put a 2x4 as a backer but I'm wondering how this is done exactly.

1. Enter attic and drop 2x4 over install spot

2. Exit attic, run over to outside. If I drill upwards through the soffit, the 2x4 moves. How the heck are you guys keeping the 2x4 stabilized?!?!

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but can't seem to figure out a good way to keep the 2x4 in place. There is very little room to get a drill over the 2x4 to secure it temporarily. Thoughts?

Any advice? Please let me know if my questions weren't clear and I'd be happy to provide more info or if I'm in in the wrong forum.

I'm currently looking at a little mini jack and I'm wondering if this wouldn't work:

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-190A-Little-Without-Attachments/dp/B0006J4DH6

If I hopped up in the attic, and placed a 2x4 and then placed the jack in-between the 2x4 and the roof, then perhaps there might be enough holding force to drill the 3-4 holes and the 1" spade hole for the network cable? What do you guys think?

Is this the way most pros do it?

What type of adhesive will not drip down the soffit holes yet still hold with the force of a 1" spade bit pressing against it? I'm assuming something with a fast dry time would be required for a typical pro install.

Is this the way most pros do it?

Probably not... but it should work. Some construction adhesives are very thick and won't run. I'm just tossing out an idea is all.

Some of the posters here might tell you for a pro install, hire one. Good luck.

If the soffit is strong enough you likely dont need the 2x4....acutally you can use something way thinner than 2x4...regardless, since you have to make a hole in the soffit for the camera wires, put a screw or two into the wood and let it pass trough the hole, this way you can hold it in place...or just get someone to hold it in place while you drill...carefully