voloftn

Geovision 16 CH 1480 Setup

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and new to building a DVR PC. However, I am a former Dell support technician building this for my business and I know my computers inside out.

I am going to build a custom PC with the Geovision GV-1480 16 channel, 480 FPS card. The specs for the PC are as follows:

-ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboard

-Athlon 64 Dual Core 3800+

-1 GB Ram

-3 Western Digital 500GB HD's, 3.0/SATA, RAID 0, total 1.5 TB

-GeoForce 6800 PCIe, 256 MB Video Card, Dual DVI

-DVD Burner

-WinXP Pro

-19" Widescreen LCD w/DVI

In addition, I am going to purchase a Sony PTZ camera:

[edit by mod - link removed due to non retail pricing]

Does CCTVSpecialty.com offer genuine Geovision products as they advertise? Does this setup seem reasonable?

How many days of storage could I expect with 16 cameras running, with the business open 14 hours/day?

Does anyone else use a widescreen for Geovision products and does it help?

Thanks!

Todd

First , I do not like your machine specs at all for the GV-1480.

Athlon is not a good starting point for Geovision since geo does not test on this platform. you want to go with the 945 chipset and and a genuine intel processor.

The combo cards are picky when it comes to hardware combinations, took us a while to find the right formula. Here is a machine with specs that we build and know works welll with the GV-1480.

http://www.digitalwatchguard.com/securitycameras/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=363&idproduct=2877

On another note, that Sony PTZ Camera is not a Sony Camera. It is a camera with a Sony CCD chip inside. Not the same thing and I am sure it won't last as long as if it was made by Sony, however it may be fine for you application. What protocol does it run on? I reccomend Merit Lilin for use with Geo since its protocol is fully supported.

http://www.digitalwatchguard.com/securitycameras/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=15&idproduct=894

As far as storage calculation, please visit http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/index.asp and see the HDD calculator on the bottom right. It will help.

I think an ideal resolutiion for Geo is 1024 x 768 depending on the size and quality of the monitor.

SAL, regarding the Merit Lilan ptz, is it compatable with Geovision's Object Tracking feature? Their website shows many ptz's they support but I have only seen them mention 2 camera's for object tracking.

I would be very happy to find that the model you linked to would work.

Have you used it with Geovision object tracking?

I have never used ptz. Object tracking is too interesting, I really want to try it out!

Also, I was wondering if geo object tracking could be done with a zoom only.

The idea is for it to zoom in on a subject as they trigger the motion zone at the front door for a few seconds, then to automatically return to wide angle ( to watch the entire room.

Here is the zoom cam link:http://www.digitalwatchguard.com/securitycameras/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=541&idproduct=1588[/b]

Don't be concerned by your choice of hardware, that system is by far and away more than capable of running a demanding Geovision system. For a long time we used Athlon socket A, then 754's,then 939's & now AM2's. Whilst Geovision them selves don't test AMD based hardware, they do accept that in general few problems will arise - In fact many recent issues with card stability has been related to bad Intel chipsets.

Using H.264 compression you should expect 1.5Tb to last you a good month if not more when working on a VMD basis. If you’re talking time lapse, then considerably less.

As an example a typical system for us would use a 3000+ athlon64, 512mb DDR, and a motherboard with integrated graphics (ATI). We've used this same setup on everything right up to 1480 combo cards - no issues.