Hello,

First of all I would like to point out that I know nothing about CCTV or DVR systems (I'm just a lowly PC SysAdmin). I have been asked to find some software or a way of viewing a clip recorded on a CCTV system - I will try to give as much information as I can.

Firstly I do not have physical access to the CCTV system itself (it is at another of our locations), but (I believe) it is a standalone DVR receiver. I know not the manufacturer nor where it was purchased nor do I know who installed it (I've worked here just three months). I have been given a CD-R with a *.dvr file on it. The name of the file is StorkBK.dvr, I don't know whether that gives an indication as to the manufacturer or not, but Google returned nothing useful.

Is there any software which could possibly open this file or convert it to a standard media type or will I need to buy some DVR hardware for a PC? The little I've been able to gather about DVR's suggests that I will need some DVR hardware if it was encoded with DVR hardware (rather than software). Is this correct?

Update:

I've just been informed that it is a PC-based DVR system, if that's any help.

Dear system admin

Run a network cable to it give it an address link to and you have the software. If this is not possible goto the dvr take a picture of what you see on the monitor with a digital camera post it on this site we will tell you who makes the dvr and where to find the software or goto accounting see who was paid to put the unit in call them they have the software you need.

Converting the file may or may not be hard. You will need a few basic tools. The codec used to create the file and some video editing software. This assumes the video clip isn't an executable. The only hardware you will need is a PC to do the edit on.

I would recommend trying to find out who did the install via the accounting department.