Sign in to follow this  
Roman.CA

Record 8MP full resolution using computer or NAS

I want to purchase four 8mp CCTV cameras Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-I(S) and i dont want to use NVR instead my goal is to use computer or even better a small network attached storage box like Synology.

I have no idea how computer capture works...

1. Do i need some capture software so i need powerful video card and CPU or each cameras pushes a video to shared network drive?

2. What are computer system requirements for recording 8mp video from 4-6 cameras ~10FPS

3. How do i view all cameras in real time on my TV or computer?

Using a PC as an NVR is very common. But yes you need a software to handle the cameras. Not sure about Hikvision, but most of the good camera makers include software with purchase of camera. If you are going to utilize the H.265 compression, you'll need a pretty good computer (at least intel i5 6000 series or better.) You dont need a video card. If you are going to use 8MP cameras, Id recommend utilizing the H.265 technology. Whatever softare you pick should also have options for remote viewing on other PCs and smart phones.

Okay i got camera today and installed Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-I(S)

I have no SDCard installed so i have no idea of file size using their PC software i recorded 3840x2178 resolution using my computer its about 100MB per minute using H.264 variable bit rate.

1. So to record one day 24/7 i need about 1TB hard drive is that sounds about right?

2. I was going to use NAS, but they don't have much juice in terms of specs, my question why do i need powerful CPU since video is being encoded on the camera, is there way i can simply write stream i get from camera to hard drive without need to do extra decode/encode it again?

I though camera can send video to NAS trough FTP (local network) however it there's no such feature in firmware.

You need the powerful CPU if you use the H.265 feature. It will cut your storage and network requirments in half.

Why are you recording 24/7? Most people only record on motion. Aside from the huge storage requirements of 24/7 recording, if there is an incident that you have to research, you end up with many many hours of insignificant recordings to review to find the incident.

You need the powerful CPU if you use the H.265 feature. It will cut your storage and network requirments in half.

Approximately what hard drive size we are talking about and what CPU spec is there some online calculator i could use for the server specs?

If H.264/265 encoding going on in the camera before signal is transmitted over Ethernet why cant data from camera be saved directly to the server HDD without need to use CPU to encode/decode if i don

t need live view.

Why are you recording 24/7? Most people only record on motion.

I wish i could use motion detection, however i have worst possible environment for motion detection i tried in the past.

293661_1.png

Trees move, even if i exclude them from motion area sun reflects tree shadow in every direction during the day and shadow moves when wind blows on the trees, leafs and dust flying when wind is strong, cars drive by and headlights light the porch creating movement, insects fly into camera attracted by IR light, all this triggers recording frequently.

Why are you recording 24/7? Most people only record on motion. Aside from the huge storage requirements of 24/7 recording, if there is an incident that you have to research, you end up with many many hours of insignificant recordings to review to find the incident.

With motion detection I had as much of events to go trough as if i had a 24/7 recorder, if i lower motion detection sensitivity then something happens and i don't even have recording for it half of the times.

Perhaps if i use motion detection feature while recording 24/7 i will get entries in "Alarm Event" log with time so i can navigate trough them if something.

There are cameras that can record directly to a hard drive, but Im not sure your camera is one. Usually its more expensive "commercial" grade cameras. If you are going to record 24/7 using 8mp camera, I'd say get the biggest HD possible. 6 or 8TB. If you record using H.265 it will cut your storage requirments by about 40%. I'd still recommend recording only on motion. I understand that trees and shadows affect it, but it will still record alot less than 24/7.

There are cameras that can record directly to a hard drive, but Im not sure your camera is one. Usually its more expensive "commercial" grade cameras. If you are going to record 24/7 using 8mp camera, I'd say get the biggest HD possible. 6 or 8TB. If you record using H.265 it will cut your storage requirments by about 40%. I'd still recommend recording only on motion. I understand that trees and shadows affect it, but it will still record alot less than 24/7.

You saying more expensive camera does H.265 encoding internally and push video file directly to NAS or FTP and you don't need powerful server computer?

I only see option to record to PC hard drive from web interface live view.

How should my final setup look like i install Hikvision iVMS-4200 software or similar on the server and it will pull stream from cameras encode them and save to HDD?

A short look in the datasheet of the camera will tell you that you can record directly on a server.

Support microSD/SDHC/SDXC card (128G) local storage, NAS (NFS,SMB/CIFS), ANR

So if you has a NFS or SMB Server running you can directly record on that. The big problem with that solution is that when something happens it makes it very difficult to analyze the data. Because you dont have a graphical gui to jump forward and backward through your recording. You have to open every file an look if there something happens. Im not very into this kind of recording but i can imagine that the camera will save the files named with date and time.

There are also some nice tools from hikvision to calculate your diskspace

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Tools_82.html