ajzenpon

DVR Bandwidth requirements

How can I calculate required bandwidth for remote access to the DVR over LAN/WAN network. I know that the size of the picture depends on the parameters like:

- compression type (MPEG, M-JPEG, Wavelet),

- frames/s,

- movement, etc.

Most of the manufacturers specifies only Ethernet connection speed (10M, 100M, 1G), but I need actual bandwidth size for one or more remote users.

Darko

Some dvr's will allow you to dictate the bandwidth used for remote viewing and archive retreival. March Networks is one. These other guys will soon chime in with other brands that have that function as well. GE may also I can't remember.

I have an 8 camera system installed at my buisness. I usually have anywhere between 1 to 3 users spying on me at all/any given time. The connection I have is just a standard cable modem from the local cable company (road runner). It has about 48k upload ability, and no one has complained about getting slow pics or video.

Now of course, this is "time lapse" when its over the internet, but thats ok, because the dvr is recording in real time (30 fps). If you want to be able to see reall time on 4 or more camera's over the internet at once, you will need a really fast connection. Look into FIOS, or if you have deep pockets, get an OC12.

I would say you would need at least 300k upload, but faster is better. If you can do 700k+ you shouldn't have any problem.

Samsung GVI you can set bandwidth

Hi Darko, bottom line is every DVR is different, if you let us know which DVR we maybe able to assist. Typically you want at least 256K upload speed, more if you will want multiple users connected at the same time, and the more connected cameras, the more bandwidth required.

You can set bandwidth limits with most DVRs these days.

I would say you would need at least 300k upload, but faster is better. If you can do 700k+ you shouldn't have any problem.

Agreed!

But all DVR's will differ in terms of online performance.

Based on my Geo & Aver what I have seen when I hook up network sniffer that they send out between 3k-6k per frame now you can calculated based on how many frames DVR system you have. This # may change based on type of compression and image quality setting.

Jmason: above link does not work...