rory

Linux Based Systems

Why cant they catch up to windows based systems ..?

They typically all look like a 3 year old designed the GUI, and ofcourse they lack the features, is this just a limitation of programming for Linux, or is there just not enough interest in Linux to call for Professional Programmers to get involved?

Any Linux Veterans out there, let us know please ..

Rory

Linux is the battle cry of the anti microsoft crowd,

windows is the still the predominant OS in businesses,

and those same businesses dont need another IT department

to cover Linux admin.

And yes, the window UI's under Linux are not nearly as refined

as Microsoft's UI.

Programmers go where the cash is, and it isnt Linux.

Some of it comes that much of the UI stuff is after thought rather then the considered the primary method of interacting. Given that the linux boxes I have are ment for server work, I don't have things like KDE or Gnome installed on them. I don't need them for what it does so I don't use it. So I don't press for UI improvements.

And a better question Rory is when is Windows going to catch up to the Mac UI?

Mac ? ... Windows took mac and ran with it ...

couldnt pay me enough to use one of those ...

Oh the Mac UI is still way ahead. After using MS Office on the Mac, the Windows verison is just painful. Too much time working against the user. And it's very, very smooth Rory, you really should try it if you get a chance.

cant afford those macs ... anyway, there are a bunch of diff MS Office versions you can use yah know ... plus who ever keeps the default Windows UI?? Besides Mac looks like Winblows 3.1 ..

and Apple stole it from Zerox PARC.

and Apple stole it from Zerox PARC.

Apple licenced it from Xerox Parc. Much differant from stealing it. And they have made a few improvements since then. And Rory you must be looking at pre-OS-X Macs.

The best part of the Linux CCTV problem is if you don't like it YOU can fix it. You gotta change your mindset and in this business there is plenty of room for *nixes. Nobody hires an IT department for their dedicated DVRs.

I'll agree it will be a long time coming before Linux is a hot desktop OS solution but in the server room Linux will continue to gain ground. You will see many new SOHO systems designed specifically to hit microshaft in the lilicenseing department. It just doesn't make sence for any small business to use MS server products.

back to the topic though, why doesnt the Linux DVR systems match up to the Windows ones yet ...? also, where's the mac in all this ..??

Basically, Can they do it and the programmers just dont cut it, or is there a software/hardware restriction?

1. Nobody has cared enough to create it in their free time yet. Since most linux software is OS nobody makes $ on it aside from installation, modification and support of it. How hard do you work for free?

2. Who cares. lol

3. They can do and many already have (icrealtime and many many many other dedicateds). Linux is more equipped for this as Thomas pointed out you don't need a GUI, well the fact is anything you don't want you can freely ax or modify. You can even go the linux from scratch route and only put what you need on the system (like the dedicated systems do) this results in reduced functionality but increased hardware effientcy. This really comes into play with software compression.

But if you start with something like zoneminder and modify it to suit your needs, you can never sell the software. You can however do like ICrealtime and sell the hardware and give away the software. Read the GPL documentation.

If you mix and match whats out there and create your own interface you can literally smoke everything else on the market.

There are some techincal issues that are a little bit harder. Not impossible harder, it just takes some time. But the real reason you see alot of cheap standalones using Linux is that it's free. There are embeded verisons of linux but cost money to use. (Not a GPL violation)

There is always some confusion to sales of Linux software. I can burn a Gentro CD and sell it to some one for $1,000,000. As long as I provide the source code for the GPLed parts then I am in compliance with GPLv1 and GPLv2. For instance you can contact Tivo and they will e-mail or snail mail you a copy of the Linux kernal they use. I can not change the licence on it, nor can I sell the copyrights associated with that software unless I am the right's holder.

If I build a custom app on top of it that is a seperate binary, that does not automaticly make my application Open source.

So wot linux pc based systems you referring to Rory,

cause theres kobi, comart, etc etc

and a few others.......

MAC- If apples have worms, does windows have cracks .....

Edited by Guest

What is it you so disliked?

You also need to look at this another way somewhat, alot of the linux philosphy is small more easily interfaced apps are better then large do it all style apps. So you can scan the encoder's frame buffer using an app for motion detection (IIRC Mdetect?) then transcode it to h.264>Divx>Xvid whatever you like at exactly whatever bitrate you want. Then stream it to the net using yet another app. Things like zoneminder are just a single interface and instalation package, you can modify any link in it's chain or fork the interface somewhere else.

Ive gone back to Geovision

Nothing beats a decent built machine running a 1480 card

Im over linux dvr's

they lack funcationality and they do look old and out of date (the gui's)

zoneminder is for someone who wants to play with stuff or a control room, not a commercially available dvr

In my mind that is

Truth is there are only around 200 hard core programmers working on Linux, then loads of enthusiasts creating small apps on the fringes.

If you want to run a dedicate server doing a single task or do some hard

core programming down at the hardware level -like CollinR's example-

then Linux rules. As your every day desktop though it is no match for XP in

simply allowing you to get on with the task.

I don't have Linux installed on any box, I mostly just run Knoppix from a

live CD – You can let the kids loose on this without fear of screwing up

your system or picking up something nasty from the web.

Can see many advantages in running a DVR this way – like no boot

partition or OS install.

Should work well with hardware compression cards as most have onboard

RAM.

As for MACs – their latest gui may be slick but the hardware has always

been overpriced. Once had to replace the motherboard in one - £700

when comparable PC mobo cost £90.

Anyway this guy sums up the MAC experience better than I can - enjoy

Knoppix can also be a handy tool, not just a kids toy. Gotta say thats another great use for it though. It's amazing how much they can fit on a live CD.

Unfortunately, I have made it sound that way. oops!

Didn't mean to suggest Knoppix was a toy, more that it is makes a

PC 'unbreakable'.

Has huge advantages for the likes of schools who currently spend a

fortune on multi licenses for anti malware. Unfortunately, too few know

anything about Knoppix.