tosul

Need Advice on PC Based DVR

Looking for feedback on the Luxriot line of PC based DVR's; have only used standalone units in the past but one of our schools is expanding the amount of cameras and we need a unit capable of supporting up to 32 cameras and one of the IT guys on staff had good things to say about Luxriot. Also open to any suggestions on standalone units that will handle that amount of cameras.

Thanks

Tom

just remember that PC Based are more "admin" intensive...............if it were me I'd stack stand alones.........schools seem to be under staffed anyway so this additional admin would be a nightmare.

I have been using Stardot, IQ Recorder, Milestone, and Arecont AV 100. I am now using LuxRiot. It has excellent customer support. There are a few features I am waiting for which includes and SMTP, SMS or MMS server for alarm notification on the video motion detection. I would also like to see a LuxRiot version for Linux OS distributions. Windows has lots of overhead. I know that Directshow is a component which is owned by Microsoft so I don't know if that will happen.

One thing that we could use is an autoiris autofocus zoom MP lens so we can tweak the focus when switching from Day mode to IR illumination at night. Computar can you read this?

Hi,

NUUO DVR can do 64ch. with either MPEG-4 or H.264 compression type. would you like to know more about it?

PC Based can be a pain in the rear. Is anyone going to be accessing the footage directly from the unit? If not why not 2 standalones and just use the DVR's control center type software?

There is absolutely no value in a 32 channel display. Forcing anybody to watch 32 squares on the screen is as good as not watching anything at all.

Many studies have concluded that the human brain is unable to process data effectively from even more than a quad display. Most high security applications have dedicated displays per channel, and assign one operator for every four displays.

Of course we can't all afford that - but it does underscore the point. You need heavy hardware investment to get a PC to handle 32 channel recording and display and ultimately there is no reward for that.

I would tend towards stacking embedded DVR's and using external hardwired alarms to define which cameras need to be observed at any time.