Sign in to follow this  
chomppomp

Safety of Infrared LEDs for babies

Hi,

I have read a few other threads on this forum regarding the safety of IR LEDs in baby monitors and CCTV/IP Cameras for baby's eyes. The theory seems to be that these IR sources can be quite bright and because 'invisible' to the naked eye, in a dark room the normal bodily reflexes of contracting pupils, squinting and pain (to look away) don't kick in and damage can occur to the eyes without warning.

I have a Foscam IP camera in my baby's room which includes IR leds for night mode. Fearing any possible eye damage, I purchased a 12v 500ma 48 LED ir illuminator to use with the set up. Essentially, I have taped over the IR lights on the Foscam and I put the ir illuminator on the floor at the opposite end of the room to where the baby sleeps (it is a small room though) and face it at the closest wall (which is furthest away from the baby).

I am hoping the reflected nature of the IR will significantly lessen the potential for eye damage by reducing the intensity of light.

But, even when pointed like this the room is very bright to the camera, although a more diffused general light everywhere (not an intense glow from a direct light). Does this mean there is still too much IR in the room, or is the camera just quite sensitive and this is fine? Anything else I can try? Anyone done something similar?

Thanks for the help and guidance!!