kensplace

Infra Red Lamps

Do the infra red lamps (the proper lamps, not the LED type) used for CCTV use a normal type of bulb (ie a halogen or something, with normal visible light) and then just block out the visible light with some sort of plastic IR filter at the front, or do they use a special Infra Red lamp, along with the front filter?

Just wondering, as if they use standard lamps, I may get some IR filter material and try knocking one up, see how it goes...

Worth mentioning kensplace, that if you use a HOT filament bulb with a plastic filter, it may well melt

There is a standard perspex material that can be used for Infra Red work (if you just want to have a play around), but commercial illuminators normally use either 'dyed in the mass' glass or 'dichroic' filters.

Incidentally, there used to be 50W Low Voltage Halogen bulbs that had a special gold coating on the reflector - if I remember correctly, the idea was to direct more light forwards, and more heat backwards, although from what I could tell, they simply diverted more cash into the suppliers bank account

Cheers all,

May try to mount a halogen bulb in a old camera case, and put the filter at the front (if it all fits in that is!), theory being the case being metal will act as a heatsink, and the bulb will be far enough back not to melt the filter, but as the case is light tight, it will transfer all the light to the front through the filter.

If it dont work, it dont work

Worth mentioning kensplace, that if you use a HOT filament bulb with a plastic filter, it may well melt

There is a standard perspex material that can be used for Infra Red work (if you just want to have a play around), but commercial illuminators normally use either 'dyed in the mass' glass or 'dichroic' filters.

:

Hi, does anyone know what this perspex type is and where it can be sourced?

I wanted to have a play around with a 20w halogen and a filter.

If anyone has other ideas for filter material I'd like to hear it. I'd be fine with dark red illumination as long as the infra red gets through fine.

A slightly more expensive option but still very cheap compared to real IR illuminators that I was going to try is a 850nm IR photographic camera filter placed infront of a 20w halogen light. Anyone see any problems with that?