waltko

Confused Old Newbie Setting Up One Camera

Very much confused about setting up low cost one camera security outside of my residence.

I bought a ZOSI ZG2617A-B, D/N Digital Security Camera. Along with a power cable it has a video cable with a BNC connector.

I have an older 15" Dell Monitor with a VGA port. I bought a cable that has a VGA connector on one end with BNC connectors on the other end. Actually it has 5 cables with BNC connectors although I will only use/need one cable for the one Camera.

I plugged in the power for the Camera and the Monitor. I plugged in the VGA connector to the monitor and, on the other end, the BNC connector to the Camera. The Camera's ultraviolet lights are lit but when I turn the Monitor on I don't see a picture on the Monitor.

Very new to this, I have no basic knowledge of CC security. I expected to see on the Monitor whatever the Camera is viewing but I get nothing.

Hi. You will need to use a TV with a scart or RCA video input .... But your best buying a DVR if you want to record 

connecting it up to a monitor direct will not work of give you a image

Thank you for your reply tomcctv.

Okay, if I understand correctly, the BNC to VGA connector cable that I bought was a waste of  money because connecting to the Dell monitor via VGA will not produce an image and the since the monitor has no RCA input port I can't use it.

I have an old Sansui HDLCD1909, 19" wide TFT LCD TV. It has a VGA port and it also has 9 RCA ports. There are two ports that are labeled Video, one is an S-Video and the other is an RCA port. So, if I get an adapter for the camera cable that goes from BNC to RCA and plug it in to the TV Video RCA port I should then get a picture? I should be able to keep the TV on and have continuous video?  

Using a DVR is in the planning stage. The cost is an issue at this time. Mounting the camera is also an issue because where I want it I have Asbestos/Cement shingles. I have to figure out how to drill a 3/4" hole (for the camera cable) through the shingle without cracking it. Maybe this is a concern to be addressed to a different forum.

Hi. It also depends on camera ......can't find anything with your listed model number.

it could also be HD analog tvi or cvi or AHD .... In which case you would need a DVR compatable 

I really don't know what you mean in regard to: "HD analog tvi or cvi or AHD .... In which case you would need a DVR compatable".

I looked back and found that I had ordered a ZOSI 1000TVL 960H CCTV Camera. What I received, according to the label on the box and a label on the camera, is a ZOSI ZG2617A-B.

However, I just searched for ZOSI 1000TVL and found one on ebay. In the ad's "About this product"  "Product Identifiers" is listed a MPN    ZG2617A. So that is what I have. Sorry about the confusion.
https://www.ebay.com/p/ZOSI-1-3-CMOS-1000tvl-960h-CCTV-Home-Surveillance-Weatherproof-3-6mm-Lens-With/11012067608

With this information is there anything that relates to your concern about "HD analog tvi or cvi or AHD .... In which case you would need a DVR compatible"?