THX1138

Camera module suggestions?

I would like to install a couple of cameras to watch my mother's car on the street since it's been vandalised a couple of times. I need to install the cameras covertly or they will probably be targeted so I will try to hide enclosures underneath our old satelite dish. I also need to minimise the cost. Could anyone advise me whether these cameras and lenses will be any good?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-0MP-4K-2K-H-265-IPC-1-1-8-OmniVision-OS08A10-CMOS-sensor-Hi3516A-V200/32887690429.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.72.7e0b7f30jTxQdC&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_10065_10068_10130_10547_319_317_10548_10696_10192_10190_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_10820_10301_10821_10303_537_536_10902_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_16,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=04c0a9dc-d6d5-4279-8878-293066e7e86e-11&algo_pvid=04c0a9dc-d6d5-4279-8878-293066e7e86e

The largest sensor size I've found so far is 1/1.8" though I suppose larger ones exist if I keep looking. The area outside my mum's house is not well lit. I could install some 12 W IR illuminators which would hopefully just look like broken floodlights. Is that lens okay? Note it says 12MP as part of the lens specification; does MP mean something other than megapixel here? The sensor module is 83H80NV and is available on AliExpress with a few different lenses attached.

If anyone thinks a different camera module would be better, I'd appreciate suggestions. I don't want to install anything that moves or anything that makes it obvious there is a camera. I live among some "colourful" characters and we don't want the house to be targeted. Thanks!

Hi you will just be wasting money .... what software what size pc ... and I take it you need remote view

by the time you built something with that camera ....your going to end up with something the same size as a standard camera. 

A lot of people say they don’t want cameras on there house ... the fact is no one notices them there so small now 

take a walk around your streets and look for houses with camera .... you will be surprised just how many there are once your looking for them

what is your budget and we’re are you based

I'm based in the a-hole of the UK, colourful Ellesmere Port, near Liverpool and my neighbours don't have overt security cameras; I've studied Google Street-View. There are contraband exchanges happening right outside our house and we live among addicts; we definitely don't want their attention. We don't care that much unless anyone damages our (or a neighbour's) property.

I'm going to install Ubuntu on my old laptop and use software called Zoneminder. I will probably use an external HDD. I'll use a network switch to let me connect two or three of these IP cameras to my laptop. I already have everything I need except the cameras and I'm pretty confident of my ability to set them up myself. The budget was £100 but I'm probably going to exceed that a bit to get slightly better camera sensors for low light.

I know the port very well... what part ... Sutton way .. Whitby or princess road area .... 

if your only looking at 1 or two cameras then just use the software that comes with camera 

you only need to go 4mp if using a laptop 

Very, very close to Princess Road. There have been two murders (one drug-related) within about 200 m of this house in the past few years. It's never been a nice area but it'd definitely gotten worse. Mum had someone banging on the door asking for "their stuff" a few months ago, tires let down a few times in the past couple of years and now the wing mirrors broken off both sides. Mum hardly uses the car so I doubt they know it belongs to this house. If mum didn't work so close by, I'd probably suggest moving, after living here, like, 30 years.

Yes I know we’re you are located ...... and it all happends buy the shop at top of your road 

like I said walk around the streets and look at cameras I know of 6 on houses in 300m of you also we have a lamppost camera we keep moving around that area for a agent

forget the £75 camera link from China and look at uk based 4mp small there around £55 and there software is very good in fact ...... this is a 3mp and it’s about 80m from you check your pm for image