unit979

Need help designing a system.

First off, glad I found this board. I am starting to install systems on a part time basis. My full time job is a cop, and I can't believe the price business owners are paying for a digital system install. So I decided to do some installations to make some extra cash. My accountant is getting all the small business stuff done for me (tax, ID, etc.)

This will be my first install. It is a gas station.

The owner already has a 16 camera pc based digital system. His system is maxed out. He has 4 more cameras at the store, and wants them hooked up. His current system is nice and I want to be able to install something as good if not better. His system playback has zoom, can go back to scenes easily, can view from home, and other stuff that I can't think of right now.

He wants at least a 8 camera system and possibly 12. I understand most all the basics (such as fps, etc.). I am just having a hard time figuring out which systems are reliable and which are not.

Is there any way I can link this system up so he can view it as well as the other system from his house?

What and where can I find a system that suits his needs. I have a list of about 15 websites that I am trying to choose from. Also, are most sites "middle men" who I can bypass and by cheaper from the manufacturer since I am opening my own company?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

What brand digital video recorder is he currently using? It would be best to get another of the same type and then he can use his one remote to look at both DVRs. Depending on the remote software he might be able to view both DVRs at once, but if not he can switch between the two just by putting in each DVR's IP address into his remote program.

Regarding buying factory direct, the majority of factories will not sell direct unless you are a fairly large integrator or distributor. You will be best served to go to a distributor who will have a wide assortment of products available at reasonable prices. Also most factories will require opening orders, credit aps, etc which as a startup company you probably won't have available.

He is currently using a BDS 1500 DVR from the site below.

http://www.bestdvr.com/products.asp?pID=17

Here's something I just found out. That card used to be limited to only 16 cameras. Now it can be upgraded to 32. Just found that out on their site today.

When he had it installed, they told him the max was 16 cameras.

So what I am now trying to figure out is if the FPS is enough. The card is 120fps. So with 20 cameras the fps would be 6, and with 24 cameras it would be 5, right? Do you think this enough FPS? Or with the addtion of the other card, will it somehow be able to hold more FPS?

Let me know what you think.

Brad

5 FPS will be fine for almost any situation. Remember that the analog mux recordings had a best 1 FPS when recording in real time. I've seen this company before and it looks like they have a pretty good product. They are a local company for me since I live in the Los Angeles area. Seems that the 32 camera add on option is the best way for your customer to go.

I agree, however a few things to note, be very carefull putting in that system, I know you didnt do the cabling but all cabling MUST be in special conduit and no pwoer can go near fuel vents etc because of fumes, I have seen some big mistakes done with cameras at petrol stations (as we call them here).

all it takes is one wire to come loose out the back of the camera and then touch the other one and KABOOM.. Like I said, special enclosures and special conduit and no power near the fumes.

Also your FPS will also depend on the CPU as you will use two cards, I would check that first with the manufactorer.