Sign in to follow this  
Riko

crime in LA

Hi good CCTV people, signed up a moment ago for advice on how to create a system for my home. Looking for best product for DIY install and need counsel on a few issues pertinent to my area.

I live in the West Valley of Los Angeles which has seen a huge increase in car and home break-ins over the last year. My street has weekly activity and it's time to install a decent system. I have one Ring out front and a Blink out back, but both are faulty with long lag times and high battery needs. I have a solar panel for the Ring but it always captures as an intruder is leaving and the Blink is always on the...blink.

(One of many stories...nearly a year ago, we had 3 thieves visit our street during broad daylight and police corralled them into the forest behind my house with barricaded streets and a helicopter only to give up and leave after an hour...until my wife returned home alone a few hours later, watched them access our side gate (they came out of the forest into our backyard) to enter the street for a getaway ride in an Uber.)

I have a 9 camera system (Q-see from Costco) never used from 12 years ago, but worried it is perhaps too obsolete with old cameras (bad image) and ancient DVR. The holes I will be forced to drill to feed through my homes stucco for the power and video will be a hassle and feel that possibly the NVR system more refined. (?)

My biggest concern however is power. I live in a high fire hazard area and when we have local emergencies (the recent Woosley Fire put us out of our home for a week) the power is normally off for a while and all internet obviously goes down. Does anyone know about a system that has the ability for battery backup if my AC power and internet is shut off? I would love to have the ability to monitor via Wifi, but would also like to have the ability to capture to storage if the power is interrupted. Does anyone have any system brands to suggest that could meet my needs?