I'm going to be doing a DVR seminar in July and wanted to present the PC vs Embedded pro's and con's. Anyone have favorite stories or theories that I can compile into a list? Has anyone seen documentation on the merits of both types?

There is a lot to be said on this subject. To start with there is confusion because embedded is a tricky word. Some of the higher end DVR companies use embedded XP on a PC based platform so careful how you phrase it.

From what I see is coming from overseas now within 12 - 18 months there is nothing that a standalone machine cannot do that a PC can. The standalone matrix systems are out there now that can emulate the matrix switcher and many are stackable.

The cheap stuff such as the Vineyard and Alogic chipsets are not really comparable to the PC but the better sets have quite advanced features so you have to separate the consumer products from the professional.

There are the cheapo embedded that run MJPEG and the better ones that run flavors of MPEG4 some with hardware compression and the cheapos with software compression. You can write a book on this stuff.

And dont forget GE that uses Wavelet, on the Nucleous Embedded RTOS,I think others are using this now also, mostly the more expensive embedded. Embedded Linux I think is the most common and lower priced, probably because it is generally a free OS. Linux can pretty much do anything a PC based DVR card can do, correct me if Im wrong, just from observation of demos and links on this forum.

I just saw a linux dvr that was built in a PC case that had a GUI that looked like it was in a windows environment !!!

Many companies are coming out with their "HYBRID" DVRs. Take a look at the Eye In The Sky DVR and the new Nuvico NVXG series (not yet available). Both boast being Hybrid Linux boxes with PC functionality....

http://www.eyeintheskyusa.com/

ahh, funny, BENFIELD, I used to work there, they are a mid-size ELECTRICAL supply house, gotta call them to see what the hell are they doing selling DVR'S.

Standlones arfe great but far too expensive they lack a lot of features and I am yet to see one that comes close to a good PCI card and I think standalone is not the future more..WIFI and video servers with compression.

Stand alone IP Video Servers with DVRs built in, are the future, people are always going to try to stay as far as posible away from windows PC's if they can, if and once the embedded on chip systems can do what they want them to. I really have nothing against windows, in fact I love it and love VB programming, but it is simply not that stable, thats why we use machines for alot of things in security like Alarm monitoring (alarm recievers), then just use a PC to make it more user friendly.

I dont see where PC cards are as cheap, unless you are comparing to brand name DVRs like GE, Phillips, etc. Geo Cards from prices I have seen online are not cheap, remember to add in the PC and the installation and testing, i charge $150 an hour for that, so it pretty much comes to the same cost as a stand alone, but takes longer and less stable (*flame me, yeah yeah!)

I still dont see what other features are really needed in a DVR than what a stand alone does already. None of the additional features of a PC card will ever be required by most consumers. Speed is the only issue, and that has already began to rise on all stand alones, even GE's.

I dont see where PC cards are as cheap, unless you are comparing to brand name DVRs like GE, Phillips, etc. Geo Cards from prices I have seen online are not cheap, remember to add in the PC and the installation and testing, i charge $150 an hour for that, so it pretty much comes to the same cost as a stand alone, but takes longer and less stable (*flame me, yeah yeah!)

Cmon rory.. make it harder than that.. you know thats not veen close.

In your kneck of the woods you may be right about no need for features but its a small neck!

Cmon rory.. make it harder than that.. you know thats not veen close.

In your kneck of the woods you may be right about no need for features but its a small neck!

What features do you need? THe stand alones have all the features Ill ever need. I dont see anything that GEO has that is something I need besides what I already have in the GE DVRs. In real world situations like a murder last year, continuous stealing, armed robbery, etc, Ive never had to say, darn I wish I had that feature! It always did the job.

Tested, Stable, Compact, Support, thats the reason to use a 'good' stand alone DVR. Most computer companies will sell you a PC DVR Card, while most CCTV companies generally use stand alones. Remember the VCR days? Matrix systems, rackmounted galore, muxes, etc, that is CCTV. Its great that PCs have given us the technology to use windows to do things we never were able to do, but with that and with its extra features, come other problems. Simple is key. Simple to install, simple to use, simple to maintain.

Too many people have come use to realying on their desktop PC to do everything. In anything, not just CCTV, if there is a stand alone device, I will use it over a desktop PC anyday. We use them in the alarm monitoring industry, a PC could never act as a reciever, they only use the PC to make it user friendly for the operator. XP still crashes periodically which is something the old DOS machines never did, but the XP monitoring software has more user capability and easier than DOS.

Stand alone DVRs are just as easy to use as a VCR, no need to learn to use a PC if they dont want. Im sure you guys have regular service trips to the DVRs you use, as they are PCs, whether it is from User errors, I have not had a stand alone yet that I had to go back to, it just sits there working year after year. I can install a stand alone in less than 5 minutes right out of the box. The price will come down, eventually, until then I continue to use them, for the reasons listed above, and it wouldnt matter if I lived in Australia or Jamaica.

Now that we are talking about stand alone DVRs, etc, I still would use a PC in adddition to the stand alone, in cases such as this:

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/facilitycommander/index.html

Or for enterprise level systems where they DO need some additional features:

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/kalatel/clearcast.html

I think your stability point is a little over blown Rory. We leave our demo server up and running 24-7. It only comes down if we're moving the server (like moving it to W2k3 web ed), upgrading, or a long enough power loss to take out our UPS. As much as I dislike XP, it is less prone to random death then Win98. Even when it does crash, the card can reboot the machine, or the BIOS can be set to autopower on.

Some of it is building your box out of good parts, they really make a differance. Good ram can cut random crashes down by quite a bit.

And can you have your stand-alone drop it's files into an FTP server so you can grab them over the web?

With the standalone you can download any video you want over the web and do what you want with them.

I'm assuming that would require the client software? My solution just needs a web browser.

The Obvious short comings with a standalone are the following:

1/ A lack of features not to mention the lack of ability to be easily upgraded, features are the key to future devleopments, I mean isn't a VCR a standalone? Computers give room for more improvements than a Standlone does.

2/ Stability... One floor that exists with a standalone is that it uses the same parts as a PC does (most of them) therefore it is just as prone to fualts, the only true difference is in the operating system itself, for example if the VGA chip dies on a PC machine it is easily changed on site in a few minutes sometimes..even by the end user themselves, but if this happens on a standalone, a whole replacement of the DVR must be ordered and this means you have to keep stock of them which is much more expensive than a few video cards.

3/ You have mentioned that there is little difference well I disagree... your kalatel unit is the same one you bought from day one, the PCI card I bought at the same time has seen over 20 changes to it and they were free and at no cost to me, I can also much more easily customise the system to my needs, software on PCI cards is much better than a standalone in many ways,...The kalatel unit lets you email thats nice but not very impressive.. it has not been designed to send the video to a control room as a stream, dump a data base, co interlace with POS and text you as well as buffer to another DVR.. Standlones can not share network bandwidth as well, you can aadjust this on a PCI card, you can even throttle it, there is no two way audio on the Kalatel and you must run software to remotely view the log files and if you back up on media then you are required to use the encoded softwrae to play back what you have recorded.

If too many users connect to a standalone it will suffer for the small Ram it has in it, you can avaoid this by using multiple machines on the one network to share the workload or you could add more ram.

PC systems can be configured over several operating systems and many file formats, but most importantly the big issue for a Standalone is price versus speed, because there is not true CPU integration and no room to move, most standalone machines rarely capture over 50FPS and these are expensive as hell. You mentioned that there werent many features that you would use but I can think of many... Personalising the password entry system for one, Object tracking for another, buffuring the video off site, listening in to mulitple channels of audio, replacing the desktop, Object counting, licence plate recognition, and the ability to buffer frames for recording on the fly and not a at a predisgned value. how about PTZ Motion tracking or Database recording of whom has loged into and out of your system, Computer based time syncronisation, the abilty of firewall integration, AVI repair utilities or multichannel Audio recording, what about a corporate job where mapping and twin screen display could be used, unlumited I/O relays, integration for safe shutdown through the use of a UPS device, multiple level digital zoom, de interlace rendering, control room software for free.. you pay for the enterprise gear from kalatel and its the same thing. or what about the COST the 50 FPS Geo is a thing of the past I can buy maybe 8 100FPS cards for the price of one standalone.

4/ Reliabilty is not myth but way over exagerated, the truth is that you cant just waltz in and get the bits to make a Kalatel but you can to make a PC and when anyone can do it then it is up to the ability of the engineer in making these devices, I mean kalatel (well actually whichever company they source from) would have studied the hardware for compatability but with a PC anyone can use any part, but if you were to compare the prices you would find that paying the same amount for QUALITY computer components would make a very very stable system. Lets face it Linux is more stable than Windows but arent you running that on the same hardware so what is the difference between the ram in your Kalatel and the Ram I use, both can fail but let me tell you the ram in the Kalatel that I saw was OEM ram and I bet that raises a few eyebrows to anyone here that knows computers, it does not matter what OS it uses if you use bad ram.. I mean if Linux is so darn stable why does no one use it much.. because its a pain to use!!!!! and is hard to update!!!! Drivers are harder to write for!!!! so go figure!!

tell em is an XBOX a standlone or a PC, you see it can be upgraded but is it really a PC, its an embedded OS, but whom has not seen one crash????

You can put Linux on an XBOX and use it as a firewall.. actually a very cheap way to do it, but will it play Half Life 2 when it comes out NO... because it isnt as easy to upgrade as a PC so when the latest and greatest comes out it will be on PC because THAT is where the money is spent on development.. not really in Standalones... with a Standalone you are stuck with what you got, there is no updating hardware without expense and this is why PC Gaming is much more popular.. do you know what drives Intel and others to make new hardware that we can use for DVR's... GAMES.. yep thats right.. End Users on PC's they are what drive the development of new ways to display and capture, do you know what drives the development of CCTV networking.... PC USERS NEEDS FOR INTERNET!! and once againt he future of all CCTV will be driven from WIFI and this will be strongly contributed by PC users needs again!

The Kalatel is a PC so is the XBOX and yes some are more stable than others but if built well the MYTH is put to bed!

I admit that XP has its issues but not by anywhere near the amount you state, granted though it is more suscepatble to attack but thats like expecting terrorism in NewZealand compared to the US!! There is more users so it is easier to attack, more of a target because it stands out and more scrutinized than anyone else. A WELL built PC can OUTPERFORM, any hybrid miniture PC embedded or not and is easier to use, with more functionality, I agree there is less headaches with a standalone but the limitations versus stabilty is not something I have seen and the MYTH is too strong. I just ugraded to version 6.1 of Geovision and you have probably only changed your sofware twice.

Yes there will always be badly built machines in the market and yes this will lead toa bad name, but as I have said before, people pay me because they know I know my stuff, they cant make much of a choice if someone sells your product to them.. its the same no matter who you get it off. One thing I will say though is because the standalone is so limited it has the abilty to limit support which is a massive plus and yes if you only do small jobs then you may never need it but who wants to stay doing small jobs?

The Obvious short comings with a standalone are the following:

1/ A lack of features not to mention the lack of ability to be easily upgraded, features are the key to future devleopments, I mean isn't a VCR a standalone? Computers give room for more improvements than a Standlone does.

You can upgrade a Standalone as easy as a PC Card, which one have you been using?

2/ Stability... One floor that exists with a standalone is that it uses the same parts as a PC does (most of them) therefore it is just as prone to fualts, the only true difference is in the operating system itself, for example if the VGA chip dies on a PC machine it is easily changed on site in a few minutes sometimes..even by the end user themselves, but if this happens on a standalone, a whole replacement of the DVR must be ordered and this means you have to keep stock of them which is much more expensive than a few video cards.

Sure, if your VCR or TV dies you have to replace it also.

3/ You have mentioned that there is little difference well I disagree... your kalatel unit is the same one you bought from day one, the PCI card I bought at the same time has seen over 20 changes to it and they were free and at no cost to me, I can also much more easily customise the system to my needs, software on PCI cards is much better than a standalone in many ways,...The kalatel unit lets you email thats nice but not very impressive.. it has not been designed to send the video to a control room as a stream, dump a data base, co interlace with POS and text you as well as buffer to another DVR.. Standlones can not share network bandwidth as well, you can aadjust this on a PCI card, you can even throttle it, there is no two way audio on the Kalatel and you must run software to remotely view the log files and if you back up on media then you are required to use the encoded softwrae to play back what you have recorded.

You can have 2 way audio if you want. Throttling Bandwith is a norm, nothing new.

If too many users connect to a standalone it will suffer for the small Ram it has in it, you can avaoid this by using multiple machines on the one network to share the workload or you could add more ram.

PC systems can be configured over several operating systems and many file formats, but most importantly the big issue for a Standalone is price versus speed, because there is not true CPU integration and no room to move, most standalone machines rarely capture over 50FPS and these are expensive as hell. You mentioned that there werent many features that you would use but I can think of many... Personalising the password entry system for one, Object tracking for another, buffuring the video off site, listening in to mulitple channels of audio, replacing the desktop, Object counting, licence plate recognition, and the ability to buffer frames for recording on the fly and not a at a predisgned value. how about PTZ Motion tracking or Database recording of whom has loged into and out of your system, Computer based time syncronisation, the abilty of firewall integration, AVI repair utilities or multichannel Audio recording, what about a corporate job where mapping and twin screen display could be used, unlumited I/O relays, integration for safe shutdown through the use of a UPS device, multiple level digital zoom, de interlace rendering, control room software for free.. you pay for the enterprise gear from kalatel and its the same thing. or what about the COST the 50 FPS Geo is a thing of the past I can buy maybe 8 100FPS cards for the price of one standalone.

you can do all this with the standalone, depends what you want and need.

4/ Reliabilty is not myth but way over exagerated, the truth is that you cant just waltz in and get the bits to make a Kalatel but you can to make a PC and when anyone can do it then it is up to the ability of the engineer in making these devices, I mean kalatel (well actually whichever company they source from) would have studied the hardware for compatability but with a PC anyone can use any part, but if you were to compare the prices you would find that paying the same amount for QUALITY computer components would make a very very stable system. Lets face it Linux is more stable than Windows but arent you running that on the same hardware so what is the difference between the ram in your Kalatel and the Ram I use, both can fail but let me tell you the ram in the Kalatel that I saw was OEM ram and I bet that raises a few eyebrows to anyone here that knows computers, it does not matter what OS it uses if you use bad ram.. I mean if Linux is so darn stable why does no one use it much.. because its a pain to use!!!!! and is hard to update!!!! Drivers are harder to write for!!!! so go figure!!

you can say what you want, but their DVRs are built in the US.

tell em is an XBOX a standlone or a PC, you see it can be upgraded but is it really a PC, its an embedded OS, but whom has not seen one crash????

Never had a machine crash on me, you must be doing something wrong.

You can put Linux on an XBOX and use it as a firewall.. actually a very cheap way to do it, but will it play Half Life 2 when it comes out NO... because it isnt as easy to upgrade as a PC so when the latest and greatest comes out it will be on PC because THAT is where the money is spent on development.. not really in Standalones... with a Standalone you are stuck with what you got, there is no updating hardware without expense and this is why PC Gaming is much more popular.. do you know what drives Intel and others to make new hardware that we can use for DVR's... GAMES.. yep thats right.. End Users on PC's they are what drive the development of new ways to display and capture, do you know what drives the development of CCTV networking.... PC USERS NEEDS FOR INTERNET!! and once againt he future of all CCTV will be driven from WIFI and this will be strongly contributed by PC users needs again!

Sorry, dont play games, I work in the security industry.

The Kalatel is a PC so is the XBOX and yes some are more stable than others but if built well the MYTH is put to bed!

Hmm, so you think still.

I admit that XP has its issues but not by anywhere near the amount you state, granted though it is more suscepatble to attack but thats like expecting terrorism in NewZealand compared to the US!! There is more users so it is easier to attack, more of a target because it stands out and more scrutinized than anyone else. A WELL built PC can OUTPERFORM, any hybrid miniture PC embedded or not and is easier to use, with more functionality, I agree there is less headaches with a standalone but the limitations versus stabilty is not something I have seen and the MYTH is too strong. I just ugraded to version 6.1 of Geovision and you have probably only changed your sofware twice.

Havent seen any limitations yet, they are designed for the CCTV industry, not the PC industry.

Yes there will always be badly built machines in the market and yes this will lead toa bad name, but as I have said before, people pay me because they know I know my stuff, they cant make much of a choice if someone sells your product to them.. its the same no matter who you get it off. One thing I will say though is because the standalone is so limited it has the abilty to limit support which is a massive plus and yes if you only do small jobs then you may never need it but who wants to stay doing small jobs?

Ganeral PC machines are considered unprofessional, used alot by computer companies, who have no experience in the Real CCTV industry. Good for home users. Since you brought it up, ever used matrix and muxes, real CCTV equipment?

If I did go PC based, Id go with a US company over an Asian one anyday, call me prejudice if you want, but thats the world we live in, USA all the way. I live on this side of the world, not anywhere near Asia.

PS. Geo's SDK doesnt compare to Ge's, and nor Chance-I, since we are on the PC Card area. If we cant adjust the software, it's useless.

Hmmm. GE is using the same OS that is used in a cell phone, coffee machine, so you still think GEO is more stable, not. Im sure DM is also using a RTOS similar if not the same, I will check it out and give you some links.

If I knew so much about DVRs, Id be working for a major manufacturer of DVRs, or making the actual cards or stand alones, not saying my PC built DVR and PC parts, which I bought from another company, is the best. I claim nothing, which is why I buy the DVR from someone that makes it for a living. Anyone these days, can build a PC.

You can do all this with the GE standalone, i beg to differ.

I have only ever done high end jobs, which do not include home PC's. In fact, I have taken over jobs that had PC based DVRs intalled, which for security measures and lack of evidence features, had to be replaced with the DVRs I sell.

You didnt seem to do as much research into the SDVR as you claim to have, and also, the DVMRe is cheaper, has more features, and is faster in the PPS area.

I agree with Oz on many if not most of his points regarding the fleixbility and updating ability of a PC Based system over embedded. Personally I like PC Based systems better, I like the ease of setup on most of them through mouse click menus. Most of them have the ability to have unlimited users each with his own password and associated priveleges such as ability to use a PTZ, or individual camera lockout and others. Unfortunately here in the U.S. or at least in the Southwestern area PC Base had such a bad start from so many fly by night garage builders that most dealers have given up on them. I almost lost one of my best dealers because of PC Based failures which cost him business and only now over 1 year later am I slowly getting back in with an embedded system. This is repeated over and over again. I have many dealers who tell me to not even bother coming to them with any PC Based system. The prejudice against PC Based systems here runs high. I think it has a lot to do with the proliferation of these backyard PC DVR makers who slap any board they can find at the cheapest price into the cheapest PC and hope they work long enough to get their money and go out of business. So marketing wise embedded rules out here.

Also, the size of a stand alone compared to having a PC in a small compact location. We can slap in a standalone with no Monitor throw a cable modem on top of it all in a small lock box, and its ready to go, the PC will require more space, and will always require a keyboard, mouse and monitor in case of local administration. For local admin of the stand alone, all we need is a portable LCD, but all programming is also accessible over the internet, so there is really no need to go back. And it does what the majority of clients want it to do. Only thing I have ever seen yet that would be nice, is streaming audio in live view, but its something I can live without, or use a small compact stand alone video server for. The pps is sufficient for CCTV recording.

Ofcourse, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally i dont install computers anymore, too much a waste of time and money building and loading and testing, so unless I Decide to go back into that industry, which will never happen, Ill stick with standalones whenever required, not just in CCTV. Sometimes PCs still have their place, for User Friendly software, in addition to a stand alone device.

Edited by Guest

updating ability of a PC Based system over embedded. Personally I like PC Based systems better, I like the ease of setup on most of them through mouse click menus. Most of them have the ability to have unlimited users each with his own password and associated priveleges such as ability to use a PTZ, or individual camera lockout and others

WaveReader has all of these features.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=WaveReader&lang=en_US

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=VideoIQ&lang=en_US

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=DVMRe_Triple&lang=en_US

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=DVMRe_Matrix&lang=en_US

"In surveillance the main priority should be reliability. Embedded technology has the edge over PC-based DVRs when it comes to reliability. The core reason, is the embedded operating software is dedicated to managing video, where PC-based operating systems handle multiple processes simultaneously, potentially causing a higher level of failure. "

"With PC-based systems an operator may be required to operate a system that is beyond his IT expertise. However, embedded technology allows for much easier operation and is more user-friendly, leaving more time for the operator to fulfil his job description with greater ease and functionality. Management on the other hand have the full flexibility of a graphical user interface."

Hi Rory- Possibly you or Thomas can answer this

Your post here caught my attention while doing a search on a specific feature I'm interested in: VideoIQ.

While looking through the discussion on the merits of one vs the other, I'm a little confused- I'm sorry if this question appears ignorant, and I admit that I'm still learning about CCTV as your aware, but in viewing the GE site you've listed, I was trying to find this specific feature- intelligent software that would specifically reference human movement. This software claims about 95% accuracy (does anyone remember DragonSpeak ))

But this system that is referenced is a PC VideoIQ system that connects to their DVR. You need both units to use this feature. While this is a stand-alone system, it uses a PC - it's I guess a marriage of sorts between the two - standalone and PC.

This system also seems extremely costly to do what it appears a PC system could do if someone came up with the software that would do this- so Thomas, possibly you could shed some light on software that might do what this VideoIQ does?

Thanks in advance...

Surf1

updating ability of a PC Based system over embedded. Personally I like PC Based systems better, I like the ease of setup on most of them through mouse click menus. Most of them have the ability to have unlimited users each with his own password and associated priveleges such as ability to use a PTZ, or individual camera lockout and others

WaveReader has all of these features.

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=WaveReader&lang=en_US

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=VideoIQ&lang=en_US

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=DVMRe_Triple&lang=en_US

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=DVMRe_Matrix&lang=en_US