LAMChance

Troubleshoot Video Loss Q-See System

I have a Q-See QT-228 DVR system with 3 cameras, been in use for about 4 years.   Started having a problem about a week ago.  I had video loss on one of the cameras, I disconnected and reconnected all the BNC plugs to DVR and power splitter then all three worked again.  A few days later, I had video loss on 2 cameras and I have not been able to fix the problem the same way.  Currently this is the situation:

Camera 2 is the only working camera, and it will only work when Camera 3 is also plugged in to the DVR and power.
Camera 3 says "video loss" though it will slightly flicker when you are plugging in or unplugging the power cord. I can't get it to stay on.
When Camera 1 is plugged in then I get nothing on it, and also nothing at all on Camera 2 or 3.  
I see no IR glow on Camera 1 or 3
Camera 2 will not work when I plug it directly into the power adapter, it will only work when plugged into the splitter WITH camera 3.  Should it work by itself, or is that splitter required?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi. Yes it should work direct into power without splitter 

with what you are describing it sounds like neutral to either video signal or power feed 

did you use the lead kits that came with your system ...... if you did that’s the place to start. The kits are poorly made and don’t usually have a life time past 2 years

Yes, everything in use came with the system.  Can you recommend another brand, where to buy, etc?

The power adapter says:  Input: AC100-240V~50/60Hz 0.8A  Output: DC12.0V --- 2.0A   and the splitter just looks generic, white with red housings over the connectors.

Do you think just replacing those will fix it, or do you think I will also have to replace the long cables to the cameras through the basement and attic?  Hoping not.  

Hi. I would replace all cables first ..... lead kits are the most common weak points. 

With you saying a camera will only come on once you connect another to recorder usually means a lost or broken Neutral in cable and it pics it up from the other camera. 

I would look at cat 5 with baluns first