jimbouk

Home cctv system for a newbie

Hi

Completely new to this so please be gentle.
I am looking for a good quality wired CCTV system for my home and would appreciate your input.

I would require 4 outdoor cameras with day and night vision, 3 would be at eves height to cover the front back and side of the house, and the 4th would be a single storey height to cover a double drive so would prob need to be wide-angle.
Max distance of coverage on the property would be about 12m if that makes any difference?

I would also like a dvr with a hard drive and the ability to view remotely, what size hard drive would suffice for such a system?

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jim

Hi. Jim 

i would look at a IP system ... much easier to get cables around your house and no need for extra power

POE nvr systems also carry power over the same cable

what is your budget

Thanks for the reply.

Budget wise I am.unsure at the moment but I would rather pay a bit more for a decent system.

Poe / NVR is my preferred option.

2 hours ago, jimbouk said:

Thanks for the reply.

Budget wise I am.unsure at the moment but I would rather pay a bit more for a decent system.

Poe / NVR is my preferred option.

Hi. It’s hard to give any recommendations without a budget or a location 

it might be better you posting links of systems your looking at

1 hour ago, jimbouk said:

Thanks for the replies,

Ideally no ore than £500 and location of cameras as per original post 

Hi Jim 

not a bad budget .... also reason for location.... forum is worldwide... no point giving you links until country was known 

but you budget is in £ so I guess UK

one of the best systems on the market is TVT which is available in the uk and also has the best remote app of any other cctv company

your budget should get you a 8way nvr and 4 cameras giving you more to expand

Thanks for that ,

Yes i am based in the UK, i assumed you meant the location of the cameras ( senior moment :)
TVT is a new one on me do you have any info on where to purchase it?

The plan was for an 8 channel system for expansion as you sugested 

Cheers

Hi Jim,  I also live in the UK and have started looking for a CCTV system to install at home.  It sounds like we have similar requirements:

- IP system, POE, probably around 4 cameras to start

- 8 channel NVR to allow for expansion

- Around £500, possibly higher for better quality cameras and software

Like you, I expect the cameras to be installed around the roofline to provide a good range, but also to help with wiring, which can be run through the eaves.  However, I would also like to install an audio camera in the front door porch.

Did you purchase a system in the end and if so, what did you get?  Was it a self-install?

I appreciate it is around 9 months since your last post so technology will have moved on even is such a short period of time, but I need a start point and I'm phased out from reading many, many articles and looking at lots of cameras etc.