jisaac

Any one done a completely wireless IP system?

I have got a job here that has been quickly put on the top priority. And we are to secure a bridge connecting the two cities. So I decided on creating a wireless lan that is going to be floating over these two cities and monitored by two different locations.

The cameras are going to be ptz's out on the lights. And a few fixed cameras at the entrance points. Well if anyone here has been involved in, designed, or involved someway in a install completely over a wireless lan I would like to know a few things about what to expect and not. I mean we have done cameras over wireless lan before just not a complete system over wireless lan with multiple ptz's and all the different specifications I have not mentioned.

Haven't had any experience at all in this area. But this may still be helpful.

Make sure whatever you use has IP and Port filtering. Same with your switches.

As it is in open space I wouldn't consider unlicensed wireless LAN. You could however consider Unlicensed Wireless LAN Bridges for backbone. For wireless bridges look at Orthogon, now a Motorola product. 300MB/s.

You can also look at Laser Links. You could quite easily place a laser links under the bridge for backbone that way it would be out of rain. easily GB/s bandwidth

Another product to look at is Fibreflow. Or any other blown fibre product.

Fibreflow is a self contained fibre conduit. Its outer casing is made from Urethane and inside it contains many plastic tubes about the size of a drinking straw. Each straw will hold about 12core of fibre. (they have 3 sizes with a maximum of 96core in one tube). The number of tubes in one cable is between 1 and 24, up to 2304 fibre in one cable. However they have some product they don't advertise with more than this. There are numerous connectors for the Fibreflow Y branches T junctions etc. After installing the Fibreflow they then come along and blow the fibre though the tubes. The big advantage is you can blow up to 1000m in one hit. No pits for 1000m.

Pricing. I just bought 2km of Direct Bury, termite resistant 7 tubes for $11k AUD. Because we are a mine we pay top $. I can put a total of 96 fibres in this cable.

They have different outer sheaths direct bury, fire resistant, termite resistant, UV resistant and Direct install

www.emtelle.com

If you create a loop with it you can withdraw the fibre from one segment, make a diversion and reblow the original fibre. You can also break into it at any point. So if done properly you can achieve a redundant loop that allows for modification without loosing connectivity. Worth a look into.