coltswalker

zoneminder experience and old school equipment

My knowledge is outdated.  I once sold and worked with CCTV equipment in the early years of digital and PC based equipment, early PCI capture cards, and software such as zoneminder on Linux.  In 2021 I am not current on what is going on and trying to catch up on my knowledge.  I need to setup CCTV for rental properties I now manage. 

Some requirements I expect from a CCTV DVR:

• Standard BNC analog connectors
  • new 1080P, 3MP(12.5fps), 4MP(12.5fps), 5MP(12.5fps) CCTV Security Cameras and Compatible with all 1080P, 960P, 720P, TVI, AHD, CVI and Traditional Analog Cameras.
  • What video format does it record in? (many new units are H.265 which is good)
  • Selective footage delete capability (can delete specific amounts of video without deleting all of the video)
  • Can it record sequential JPEG/image stills and video?
  • Can it record video at at least Half D1 (NTSC)?
  • Can the video be accessed via network share and easily played back on a PC?
  • For the TCP/IP setup, can it be assigned a static network IP address of my choice?
  • Does it support getting an address via DHCP?
  • Will it accept a standard 3.5" PC SATA hard drive?
  • Is there full control via remote access from a PC so it can be ran headless?
  • USB Port to copy files or backup video footage to a thumb/flash drive?
  • Is the motion detection sensitivity adjustable?
  • When motion detect is active, the unit is recording, can it also be accessed remote with full functionality? (Simplex/Duplex/Triplex)
  • If the remote interface is web browser accessible, is it Firefox compatible for viewing on Macintosh and Linux desktops? (many require MSIE specific plugins which is unacceptable)
  • Does not require subscription based cloud storage (avoid subscription based)
  • Can be accessed directly via IP address or port map for remote access (the traditional means of mapping via the router)

Right now I need to locate a good DVR unit that meets my needs.  I find it difficult to find vendors that disclose the information I request.  I would prefer not to use a PC and I am now more interested in an appliance based solution, fanless is ideal.

I have an I.T. background and knowledge in electronics. 

Greetings Everyone!