Sign in to follow this  
felon

System solution required!

Good morning people.

I have a goal to achieve and i think by asking you kind people first, it will be easier....

I need one camera to look at a hallway which is extremely dark. I guess a night vision cam would be best. We run a computer network throughout the building. I would like it so a couple of computers in this building could see the camera whenever they like, perhaps with potential to record in the future.

From looking around, i have found this. I would then think i could attach it to the computer network, allowing for computers to see it. Also using PoE to power it.

Please can somebody with this sort of knowledge tell me if this is the best and simplest option. Or what i should be doing instead.

Thanks for your help!

You can use your solution. Another solution is to look for an IP security camera with 0 LUX viewing capability (able to see at night in very low light). Most cameras with IR night lighting including the one you have listed advertise a 0 LUX capability. The IR is used for TOTAL DARKNESS. However you may find that by supplying even a small amount of light in this hallway that you can see much farther and clearer than with the IR alone. The 0 LUX capability takes advantage of any available light plus the IR to produce an image. You may find that with light from an "EXIT" sign or something that the camera sees as good as if it were day (probably will be Black and White though). If you get a 0 LUX camera and have a small light source in the area of the camera, you should not have a problem. I know your post was not mainly concerned with light but that seems to be the only sticking point with the setup you described.

Sorry for the multiple post. You should be aware that you are most likely not looking for a "night vision" camera. This would indicate a camera with light amplification technology, you probably don't need this.