Sign in to follow this  
doo600

Outdoor Lightbulbs and IR Cameras

So I know cameras at night see in the dark and when you shine bright things in them its problematic. I have two lighted posts at the end of my driveway that cause a serious glow and make it difficult to see beyond them. I have to have bulbs there per neighborhood restrictions that require lighted driveway posts so those are staying. I considered shielding the lights on the camera side but then I lose the light for half the driveway. Before I buy a bunch of new bulbs just wondering if LED or any other type might limit the effect. I currently have three candelabra incandescent bulbs in each post so I'll probably reduce those to 2 or 1 to see if I can make it work. Any suggestions?

The cameras pick up a greater range of light than we do. I've tried both incandescent and mercury vapor, and my guess is that LEDs will be seen equally well. I don't know if you have a height restriction or not where you live, but getting the bulbs above the camera view window, will definitely help. This may require a new configuration, but it should fix the problem. You could also raise the camera, and aim more downward as well. 

It's pretty much dead center of the camera that is about 25 feet in the air. I'm trying some lower amber LED bulbs with some interior light fixture shielding toward the camera. We'll see how that works tonight.

driveway.png

Since your camera is already very high up, you may be able to extend the upper metal parts of both lights, in the same direction they are going. The end result would be an upside down funnel shape. It would look a bit weird from the street, but the more the funnel is extended, the less light you would have in the upward direction. You should get proper lighting from the height of a yard or so, downward, and no glare. 

Hi   Extending and moving lights or camera won’t solve your problem never mind the cost of finding out

installers come across this problem all the time

with you having so much light at the gate area I would try switching your camera from auto to day only …… leaving it colour 24/7 …. Use your light problem to your advantage 

it can also depend on which camera your using and what settings it has …… still cheaper option than moving lights to get the right camera