Sign in to follow this  
bmaster

Problems with night vision

Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. 

I have this system from AMCREST:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amcrest-AMDV960H4-4B-Video-Surveiilance-System-500-GB-HDD/44786726

Two of the cameras are basically useless at night. There was another camera that was out all the time at night but it randomly started working again and that's when two others went out. This makes me think there's some kind of power issue. I don't think the cameras are broken. They are constantly flickering with a "NO VIDEO" screen or completely dead with "NO VIDEO".

I asked in the AMCREST forum but I could not resolve the issue. I tried plugging in of these non-working cameras to an extra power supply I had (12v 2amps, like the ones included for the cams and DVR) directly instead of using the included splitter but that didn't help.

I'm not sure if there's anything else I can try with these cameras. The one camera that has always worked perfectly is on the other side of a wall from one that never works at night. The distance from both of them to the DVR is basically the same, in fact I think the one that always works is further away.

Any suggestions? If not, what I can I buy that is better than this? I installed these myself, drilled all the holes and ran the cables, it was quite tedious.

I would like something that records 24/7 and allows me to watch through an app like this system does. But I need reliable night vision and better resolution (this one's image is sub hd).

Thank you

Hi yes you are right it’s a power problem and also a cable problem

camera systems run on coax or cat5 with baluns 

your lead kits are cheap and nasty and this has been discussed on the forum for years

amcrest power supply. 

it’s too small to run all your cameras 

put you hand on it in day and night and feel how hot it gets

cable kits.  
cable is too thin to carry the amps needed

video side of cable is nasty speaker wire again too thin and is not 75ohm which is standard for cctv your lead kits are 100ohm

yes you can spend more on the system you now have ……. Cctv power supply $40

replace cable with coax shotgun or cat5

with BNC connectors that’s another $100

7 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi yes you are right it’s a power problem and also a cable problem

camera systems run on coax or cat5 with baluns 

your lead kits are cheap and nasty and this has been discussed on the forum for years

amcrest power supply. 

it’s too small to run all your cameras 

put you hand on it in day and night and feel how hot it gets

cable kits.  
cable is too thin to carry the amps needed

video side of cable is nasty speaker wire again too thin and is not 75ohm which is standard for cctv your lead kits are 100ohm

yes you can spend more on the system you now have ……. Cctv power supply $40

replace cable with coax shotgun or cat5

with BNC connectors that’s another $100

Thanks for replying. Could you recommend specific products? I'd like to buy new cables and power supply.

Hi. If you have the chance to take back to Walmart…. That is a good option 

and here is way

no one uses analog anymore so it’s already out of date

960h is analog  (they say HD ) no it’s not

500gb hard drive …… pointless if you go on holiday more than a few days

you have spent $199 so far and needing to spend another $130 for power supply and cable plus connectors plus bnc tool

I can't take it back. I've had it for a long time now. Could you suggest me a new system? I had a security issue lately and need a reliable system.