anonym0us

What IP camera system?

So

I'm getting my house wired up for wired and wireless connectivity 

I thought I'd then also look at getting some PoE IP cameras (about four should do it to cover the whole house) 

What do people recommend? Ideally I'd spend less than £500 for everything and to have something that's easy to replace. 

Ideally I'd want zero or low subscription costs too. Brand isn't important to me. Given I'm getting my house wired up, I'm going to get a PoE switch for the cameras (and the access points), so that part is something I already have in mind for the design. I'd also probably want something that supports ONVIF 

What would people recommend? Including regarding the NVR

Hi not a bad budget … with using a IP system your best using Poe nvr  which also saves you money on Poe switch

also while running cat cable around your home people forget to run at least 2 from nvr location to main tv ….. not really needed but flick of a tv remote button brings up your cameras

how big is your home and we’re are you based

3 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi not a bad budget … with using a IP system your best using Poe nvr  which also saves you money on Poe switch

also while running cat cable around your home people forget to run at least 2 from nvr location to main tv ….. not really needed but flick of a tv remote button brings up your cameras

how big is your home and we’re are you based

Tbh I'll be getting a PoE switch anyway, because I'm getting my house wired up. I'm getting some PoE wireless access points attached into it, along with a Yealink DECT phone

The house I'm buying is 120 square metres, semi detached and in greater Manchester. FWIW, I'm getting a network port in every room and that should surely cover it? I don't mind being able to see cameras on my laptop via a little software controller via IP or whatever 

24 minutes ago, anonym0us said:

FWIW, I'm getting a network port in every room and that should surely cover it? I don't mind being able to see cameras on my laptop via a little software controller via IP or whatever 

Hi actually no that will work for tv 

25 minutes ago, anonym0us said:

Tbh I'll be getting a PoE switch anyway, because I'm getting my house wired up. I'm getting some PoE wireless access points

Ok most would keep cctv off there home network

but if your going Poe switch .. make it a managed switch

so what are you looking for in your cctv 

audio

Ai

colour night 

6 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

audio

Ai

colour night 

Tbh I largely just want good quality video footage with storage, ability to access over the Internet (even if it means having to do some port forwarding), though ideally not as port forwarding is a bit of a security risk 

It'd be nice to record audio I guess and to see decently well at night. Not sure why I'd need AI? 

9 hours ago, tomcctv said:

audio

Ai

colour night 

Looking online, AI might be something I might consider but only if it isn't much more expensive than without it. Ultimately, IP cameras are there as a deterrent. 

The fancy bells and whistles can come later if it's all ONVIF

21 hours ago, tomcctv said:

audio

Ai

colour night 

I'd also like to be able to see my cameras remotely tbh if possible 

15 hours ago, anonym0us said:

The fancy bells and whistles can come later if it's all ONVIF

Hi. This is not the case ….. using onvif with some cameras can restrict some of the functions ….. and will not add functions 

3 hours ago, anonym0us said:

I'd also like to be able to see my cameras remotely tbh if possible 

Yes that is possible with most systems now but like in other post ….. for a 4 camera system I would not use a network to connect cameras to nvr ….. much better home run …. Cable from nvr to camera …. Keeps it all independent 

9 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. This is not the case ….. using onvif with some cameras can restrict some of the functions ….. and will not add functions 

Yes that is possible with most systems now but like in other post ….. for a 4 camera system I would not use a network to connect cameras to nvr ….. much better home run …. Cable from nvr to camera …. Keeps it all independent 

How would it restrict certain functions? 

Also why not connect it into the network? I mean you can still have it VLAN'd off. FWIW my day job is a network engineer, so I can manage the security side of things. They can be sufficiently segregated by the use of VLANs and security zones.