Lowtech

Helpless Newbie

So many questions trying to figure out a system  so I'll start with the basics. If my questions fall into a specific category please direct me to which and I'll post up there.  Been asked to straighten out a 7 camera system at a public gathering facility. Cameras are all the same brand, boxes only say CCTV color camera CE FC RoHS.  All wired with cat5E cable to the Ethernet switch which only has PoE+ UTEPO on it. Issues are only 5 of the 7 cameras work. Ive spoken to the installer who remote accessed the system a few weeks ago and was able to have all 7 working but 2 petered out shortly after he linked off. He is in another state so a quick trip over to fix things is not gonna happen and runs a large surveillance co and his belief is the Ethernet switch is old and weak to run all the cameras. Fine, no problem replacing it, however Id like to get a better or more powerful one if its worthwhile to improve the system and also so this wont happen again.  Im clueless as to what would be a better or good one. All I can say is its a 8 ports for cameras plus one cable to the computer. Thanks folks for any help on this.