Sign in to follow this  
IAH123

Video Balun burnt???

Hi 

had my two camera QVIS DVR unused for quite some time, then it was unplugged. Just rebooted it all and had no video on one, checked out the camera and the video balun seems to have burnt??? I've no idea how. What do I do to get it back up and running?

The other camera has no video also, but i am praying that this is due to the fact that the wire came out from the balun and is exposed atm. is this an easy fix? or do I need an electrician? IMG_20220610_201937.thumb.jpg.751d09d2bc3334d9176d84f83fa07ec3.jpg

This is the burnt balun. 

Hi. No electrician needed ….. changing out baluns is a simple job. 

but you may also have a problem with your power supply 

you say system was not used for a while …. Was it working before you stopped using it and also did you unplug the power suppy

it was working before i stopped using it however i unplugged it when it was not being used... replugged it just now. maybe a lower voltage power supply? nothing about the QVIS cameras comes up when trying to find but at least have the DVR serial no.

would the wires not be affected due to the video balun burning? 

Hi that system will also have a power supply just for the cameras

there looks like enough wire to just strip it and add a new balun

were are you located

what replacement power supply and baluns should I get? I know now what to do. 

just confirming, if i disconnect the power supply there's no power going through the wires at all right? completely safe? 

4 minutes ago, IAH123 said:

just confirming, if i disconnect the power supply there's no power going through the wires at all right? completely safe? 

Yes completely safe ….. infact if was powered up you would not notice ….. it’s only 12v ….. can’t electrocute yourself or feel anything

what part of uk…… only so a can find you a local place to buy from

also how many cameras do you have

ah no problem, ill service them tomorrow if i get the chance. can you recommend a wire stripper or is it not needed? can i jus use my fingers cuz its that small. 

im in brum, ive got 2 cameras. 

on second thoughts mate how would I do this?

looks like theyve got some sort of wiring connector, theyve stripped the power supply wires and stuck them in that connector with the CCTV wires on the DVR side.

u know how this works?

Looking at your picture ….. you have a pull apart power plug and and BNC connector (balun)

it also looks like you have two cables on each of the balun terminals….. which is not correct anyway……. Should only have one pair of cat 5. For balun …….. something like solid blue for + and blue with white stripe for -

can you take a picture of connections on back of recorder also power supply

and also before you spend money remove the two camera connectors from back of dvr and see if it starts up and goes to menu screen

Is it not? I thought that was normal. DVR boots up, checked it first before realizing the cameras were dead. 

IMG_20220611_140455-min.jpg

Power supply connection. Looks like they've stripped the supply cables with the camera cables. 

Hi. Ok power will work that way so you don’t need to touch that unless your power supply has blown 

do you have the use of a multi meter ?

your baluns are wired up wrong there should be only one wire going to each terminal 

so you need to take one wire out

Your balun has + and - on it 

+ shows green and green/ white strip

remove the green with white strip at both balun ends

- shows brown and brown / white stripe

again remove the brown/white from each balun end

I'd rather replace the supply tbh, would it burn baluns again? Was also making a buzzing sound every time it was plugged in/out, no idea if that's safe. Nah I don't have a multi meter. 

I'll rewire everything as you said. I can test it beforehand without buying a new balun as I can just swap the back cam DVR one with the front can burnt one. 

2 hours ago, IAH123 said:

How do I connect this up then? Because I've got the exposed CCTV wire from the existing power supply. i guess buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-Metre-Power-IEC320C13-Kettle-Black/dp/B002CZQ3G6/ cut it in the middle and wire it up? 

I'll need to get a wire stripper and cutter from local place to wire it up. 

Hi any reason why your post is showing a 240v kettle lead ?

21 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi any reason why your post is showing a 240v kettle lead ?

is this what i need to power the supply or do i need something else? the supply doesnt come with a socket or lead. 

please can you tell me everything i need to get - i may be able to get Amazon prime on most items and be able to service the CCTV tomorrow.

what do I need to power the supply with? im assuming some power cable that I strip into live neutral and ground and wire up as theres no socket. 

how do I connect the cameras up to the supply? am i using those wires seen in the 2 way terminal block above? 

all i need is

- power cable

- wire cutter 

- wire stripper 

-power supply 

- replacement video baluns 

and that's it? let me know how to connect the cameras up to the supply. 

Hi yes that’s all you need in your list above

the power supply is overkill for your needs but also allows you to expand if you wanted to add more cameras

IMG_20220611_140455-min.jpg.4e69881cc475

In your picture it shows that orange/orange white is your +
you have two of each because you have two cameras

so you would insert 1 orange and 1 orange/white into first channel of power supply marked with +

you then insert the blue and blue/white into terminal marker -

so your just using two channels of the power supply 

it is also better for you as each camera is protected by a fuse …… anything happends and you still have a working camera

And these are the only wire strippers you need to do your job

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-wire-stripping-pliers/p36252
yes your right about the power lead for power supply 

just chop the kettle end off strip it and connect 

brown to terminal marked L on power supply 

blue connects to terminal marked N and yellow/green connects to terminal E

6 minutes ago, IAH123 said:

Thank you very much. Can you let me know how to actually hook up the power supply unit?

3 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Hi yes that’s all you need in your list above

the power supply is overkill for your needs but also allows you to expand if you wanted to add more cameras

IMG_20220611_140455-min.jpg.4e69881cc475

In your picture it shows that orange/orange white is your +
you have two of each because you have two cameras

so you would insert 1 orange and 1 orange/white into first channel of power supply marked with +

you then insert the blue and blue/white into terminal marker -

so your just using two channels of the power supply 

it is also better for you as each camera is protected by a fuse …… anything happends and you still have a working camera

I'm assuming you mean here do this for each wire to accomodate for each of the cameras?

so one channel has 1 orange and 1 orange/white in + and 1 blue and blue/white in -

another channel has the same for the other camera, 1 orange and 1 orange/white in + and 1 blue and blue/white in -?