Sign in to follow this  
jackhandsome

Re: How to get cameras on telephone pole

As the title states, I'm looking for ideas on how to get 2 cameras near the top of a telephone pole. I am renting a scissor lift this weekend and putting 2 - 180 degree cameras near the top of the pole on opposite ends but at the same height as to get the whole property. These are POE cameras running power from cat7 direct burial lines. My thought is to put some sort of weatherproof junction box in between them with a 1" pvc line coming from the bottom of it. I've never done an install where a junction box was needed so am not familiar with the type that I would need. So I am looking for some suggestions/tips on how to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

My thought is to have 3 weatherproof junction boxes total. 2 of those boxes attached to a 2"x4" that is then attached to the pole. Then attach each camera to the boxes. Then running curved pvc from each camera box to the main box in the middle then cables down the long pvc that runs the length of the pole. I know that sounds convoluted in explanation but my brain is having a hard time articulating what I am trying to say. Hope it's not too confusing.

good box.jpg

Hi yes I understand your application

for two cameras I would not go to the expense of using cat7 cat5 is more than enough

the pole might be on your land but I would check with the telecom company before you attach anything to it I know someone who was charged 9.000 to replace a telecom pole because they did not have permission to do so

i would also consider using plastic junction boxes ….. it just gives extra protection from lightning for your cameras …. A strike to the pole won’t effect your cameras where steel boxes will

Well, the reason one would use Cat7 over Cat5 would be 2 fold. One reason is for future proofing due to the speed advantage as Cat5 is up to 10Mbps and Cat7 is up to 10Gbps at the distance I am going. The other reason (among many others) would be the shielding. Not to mention direct burial Cat7 offers even more protection than your regular ethernet cable. Furthermore, if you are already spending over 1k on a new system (POE Nvr and 6 cameras) why would you not spend a little extra for a superior cable? Anyways regarding the pole, it is not an issue where I am I can assure you of that or else it would not have been considered in the first place. I came into this looking for alternate ideas on this project but have since figured it out but appreciate the replies nonetheless. Have a good one.

4 hours ago, jackhandsome said:

Cat5 is up to 10Mbps

Hi cat5e direct burial is 1gigbit p/s which is well over any camera data  needed

direct burial is the same protection at cat7 … just thought it would save money since your running two feeds