rory

Reccomendations on Video Monitoring for Alarm Mon Co

Any ideas on real world integrations. Just an idea at this point, but IP cameras would be a cheaper way to install cameras for remote monitoring for video verification.

Looking at Axis products, but their software costs $7,000 for 50 devices only. Any other ideas?

Also, as Im not a partner or owner in the alarm companies, how would I go about offering this service, have them buy their own PCs etc, just set up everything and get a one time fee, or percentage, or??

Thanks

Rory

Rory,

Seems to me that the interesting part of it lies in an 'open system' where multiple systems can connect to a surveillance monitoring station.

Being independant of brands, types, compression technologies is the only way it seems very interesting to me.

If there would be any standard, life would be easier for these concepts.

JVC has an interesting solution. They are completly devoting themselves to IP video and are not even making a DVR!

Their solution invloves a Device that will take upto 60,000 of thier network cameras and, over a WAN, allow you to access them through a single IP address. I have not personlly seen it in action, but the rep for JVC is completly head over heels for this thing.

Whats the catch??? The price tag. While the cameras themselves arent to bad in price, the recorder/server itself is around $10,000 . It does come with several TB over storage though.

Here is the link for it on the JVC page. Could be the solution you were looking for, and i believe i heard the rep say that it might work with Axis....

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=&model_id=MDL101436

thanks, looks like what I was looking for, will check it out further

Rory

Whoops, no it seems it is simply a local DVR with a video server built in. Im looking for something at the remote end, not local. Locally I can just use any IP camera.

Remeber we have to charge people monthy monitoring, so it has to be not that expensive, or at least the remote end can handle lots of IPs by not spending $10K for just 16 camera support.

D3Data's software can easily accomplish this....

...non-proprietary and entirely browser-based. Supports http, https and SSL Certificates. No client-side software for viewing live or archived data. Supports tons of IP Camera Manufacturers models and video servers, also. Built around the term "open" standards...

..check it out: http://www.d3data.com

Yes that and Milestone... but make sure you have no moths in your wallet, the Geo control room is the best I have ever seen, the only limit is that it will only support Geo, if they made an open protocol they would be billionares

Personally I think a complete Sony solution is your best bet. Sony IP Network Cameras are by far the best on the market offering the best video performance and image quality. Combine with RSM and you can monitor at full motion video and record at a lower rate. Nothing right now compares for the price and feature set. Milestone is also good, but you can't monitor at a high rate and record at a lower rate with Milestone.

New RealShot 3.0 coming out in January, it sounds to be very nice.

Sony is a good solution, but I met with their people at ASIS 2004, and they were by far the rudest people that I've ever met.

My company bought a SNCRZ30N camera and it is pretty decent on performance during the day, good image quality, good optical zoom. At night however, if there isn't much light, you're hosed. The lux rating on all of their ptz cameras is horrible. If you do point their ptz at a light in the distance, it will just starburst on you making everything else unviewable. Haven't seen their stationary cams.

I hear their software is decent, can't tell you one way or another on that. If you want diehard reliability and generic compatiblility with most software, get a unit with a hitachi head unit, like a pelco. You can't beat the quality optics, or the low lux. I do like the bosch domes with the autotrack, however.

Guys - the Sony product is OEM's from - guess who - ONSSI - which is OEM'd from - guess who - Milestone. All the same product/flavor with minor differences.

SNC-RZ30Ns are one of the best all around PTZ IP cameras out there, but yoiu are correct - I would recommend and IR illuminator for night.

I agree, the SNC's are great domes, especially since they are relatively cheap and come with an integrated video server as well.

Do they make IR illuminators for the SNC? I've never seen one?

No - I was speaking of a standalone illuminator. They don't have one specifically for it. The Axis 213 PTZ has one that is integrated.

They are pretty pricey - especially if you utilize the Sony factory housing and pendant mount, etc. We did an install with (3) of these (19 cameras total = mix of analog and digital/IP) and then found DotWorkz site where they have essentially the same housing for almost 1/2 the price. Oh well!

On the Sony Night time image quality, you really do need to tweak the settings. Once you tweak the settings, the camera can be, by far, really, really good. You must change the shutter speed a little and basically do a manual setting. Once you play around with that at night I think you should see a big difference. The auto mode isn't all that impressive.

One utility that will be available soon to help make Sony cameras better at night as well as add other tweaks is IP Pro Cam. www.ipprocam.com

Edited by Guest

Milestone is great for recording, but I don't know if I've ever seen slower video feeds. It's like watching a liquor store surveillance tape.... and that was on a dual opteron computer....

We actually saw the sony optics and slow shudder on a camera we demo'd from rVision. It was pretty good at night, but not nearly as consistant as the hitachi head units like pelco, (which are much cheaper).

The issue with Milestone/ONSSI/Selva is that the live video feed is tied to the record framerate. Chances are the system you saw had the record frame rate set low.

on the SNC, the SNCRZ30N doesn't have the same optics as the SNCZ20N. The 20N is better (newer camera) and has better night time viewing. Sony is releasing the SNCZ30N/2 which I believe upgrades the optics to the level in the SNCZ20N. 30N is the Dome, 20N is the box w/zoom. If you get a chance, check out the night vision of the 20N for comparison.

On the IR, I believe in night mode the Sony cameras take away the IR filter, so you should be able to use an IR illuminator. I did test with an IR remote control, Green light was flashing and very visible.

why not just a good Day Night 25X PTZ from any of the major manufacturers, and use a 1 channel video server?? Then as it switches to BW at night, you can also use ExtremeCCTV IR Bulbs like the UF500's for pitch dark apps.

Slow shudder speeds are normaly useless, as then the image is slow, and, its still doesnt compete with the exview chip. All the zoom cameras allow that adjustment, I have used the Samsung Day Night zoom also and it was crap. Pano, GE, and Sanyo, great day nights, testing a Toshiba tonight.

We can't use IR illuminators in our applications, as our systems are solar powered. We've looked in thermal as they are low in power consumption, but they want 10k apeice. Ouchie.

Anyhow, I hear down the pipe that the new hitachi heads are going to be 26x optical. They are supposed to be released this year. This is great for us, as our cams are currently limited to 23x optical.

ExtremeCCTV also uses solar power, but I think it may just be for the EX82 series. You may want to take a look at them though. They also have IP cameras.

They use Solar? That's interesting. We actually had to have a company specially design a 12VDC dome camera for us. Not to say there aren't any 12VDC ptz domes out there, but we haven't found many quality ones.

inetcam is a webcam product. I would not classify it as a professional video surveillance and monitoring product. If you don't mind poor performance, then it may be ok. I didn't find it too appealing.