jwexqm

Geovision and Remote Desktop / Terminal Services

I'm trying to administer a Geovision system via Remote Desktop over two ADSL connections (one line at the site being monitored and one locally). Both ADSL connections are 1.5Mbit/s down and 256kbit/s up, so that effectively means that the bi-directional bandwidth is 256kbit/s.

Port forwarding has been enabled fine on the router at the monitoring site end and I can connect to the machine on port 3389. The problem starts when I load Geovision's main interface. Essentially it kills the session because nothing can re-draw. The Remote Desktop connection is saturated trying to update the 4 (in my case) camera views and doesn't paint the rest of the interface or give me any chance of interacting with the controls. I've tried turning on the Remote Desktop friendly small views for the cameras in the Geovision settings, but this hasn't helped.

I feel that if only there were a setting to say paint each camera view every n seconds when connected via terminal services then things would be fine.

Remote Desktop administration of Geovision is fine if you're hard connected to the same router as the CCTV machine at 100mbit/s, but is actually noticably worse even using 54Mbit WLAN. So it makes sense that at 256kbit/s things are unusable.

Can anyone help?

James

What display adapter in the remote machine? Heck what are the rest of the specs.

Wifi (consumer networking) generally sucks for video, it can work but not as well as hardwired. It should still work for RDP fine though.

CCTV machine is an Athlon64 3200 wihth 512MB RAM on nForce4 and integrated 100MBit/s LAN interface. The machine runs at 75% CPU utilisation with 4 cameras motion activated monitoring and recording. It's been up for 12 months and has never given me any stability or performance issues. I've only ever needed to reboot it to install security updates for XP. Graphics card in the machine is an ATi Radeon X300, but I can't see how that's relevant because we're talking Remote Desktop here which is a network protocol that bypasses the graphics card entirely.

I did read on one thread that someone suggested using VNC for remote administration instead of Remote Desktop. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best VNC graphics compression settings to use with Geovision?

I'm also considering that this might be to do with the ADSL router I'm using. Possibly something to do with its management of the Remote Desktop Protocol packet traffic. If someone is reading this and is using Remote Desktop over a similar <0.5Mbit/s WAN connection to administer a Geovision machine, then please post.

Cheers,

James

I use Ultra VNC for all remote admin ..

Normally if its a slower connection ill switch it to 256 colors .. that generally gets rid of any hang ups .. if its even slower you could blur the screen a little.

Rory

Nvidia has hardware MPEG2 decoder support (PureDVD, MX440+) that effects the stream between hard and software and makes a huge quality difference without the CPU load of something like ffdshow which uses software.

You connecting RDP via VPN, IE or using an XP client?

You are already at 75% CPU I would be more concerned with getting that down and your RDP connection will probably reflect in that alone.

I would consider an NVidia display adapter too but then again I absolutely despise ATI.

Just to say I gave RealVNC a go in 256 colour mode and found it much more usable in Geovision than Remote Desktop. Interacting with Windows generally was slower than Remote Desktop (scrolling and any large window movement was sluggish), however Geovision didn't just kill the sesssion like it did with Remote Desktop, so I've definitely now got a way that I can do remote administration on the CCTV machine. I'll probably stick to Remote Desktop for all other stuff other than Geovision admin though. Thanks for all your help.

James