jdelacruz

Distorted Video Problems

Ok, just a little background first. I'm a manufacturing engineer and a month ago my boss told me to go ahead and hook up the security cameras all around the plant, with me having no knowledge on it. After the first 4 cameras, the rest were a breeze excep tthat the video cable runs (rg-59 and CAT-5) were quite long and especially difficult with the plant running. Basically now, a month later I have finally finished running cables, mounting cameras and hooking them all up to the DVR system. Now out of the 16 cameras that are up, 6 are giving me some weird video issues. I am not too sure on the specs but I do know we are using a GV-1480 card and the software that comes with it, I am not too sure on.

1) When I set the system to record after i leave on a scheduled recording and on motion detect, a lot of video on these 6 cameras is recorded. The system records a slight "glitch" in the video and records for 3 seconds. This occurs on and off throughout the night but is consistent with a couple of cameras. I have redone all the ends on both sides of the cameras (rg-59 and CAT-5) and the problem still persists. Any ideas on this?

2) With the last camera that was set up, the picture was completely fuzzy. The video cleared up on things that were about 6-10 inches from the lens, but anything further the image gets completely blurred. Is there some sort of auto-focus function I am missing in the software? Or is it just possibly a bad camera? (BTW I switched cameras and found out it wasn't the cables)

3) For the CAT-5 cables the baluns that came with the system are GEN IV passive baluns. Is there a specific way I need to hook these up? Does it matter which one goes on which end? There are 2 baluns that came in the package, one with a 10 inch extension cable and another without.

4) Another simple question about this software, if I want to record all weekend while no one is supposed to be at the plant, when scheduling can I just set it from 00:00AM to 00:00AM? Like I said, not too knowledgable on this type of thing.

Thanks for any help and I will try to answer any questions that I am sure you all will have for me.

Jerome

2) With the last camera that was set up, the picture was completely fuzzy. The video cleared up on things that were about 6-10 inches from the lens, but anything further the image gets completely blurred. Is there some sort of auto-focus function I am missing in the software? Or is it just possibly a bad camera? (BTW I switched cameras and found out it wasn't the cables)

It sounds like its the lens on the camera, either not focused or not backfocused correctly.

What sort of lens is it?

If its not a fixed focus lens, or motorized zoom (like on some dome cameras or pan/tilt setups) then it should be adjustable by hand quite easily. Look for adjustment rings on the lens itself, and try turning them till its in focus.

If its a motorised lens, then you can adjust its focus via its controller.

If its a fixed lens, then the camera will need backfocus adjustments (probably will need them anyways, never harms to do it), this is where you adjust the distance from the cameras ccd sensor to the back of the lens.

Search the forum and or google for instructions on backfocusing, its fairly straight forward.

The lens could also be the wrong mount, there are two main ones C mount and CS mount. Getting the wrong one for the camera can make pics out of focus. You can get adapters for c to cs mount (or is it the other way, cant remember of hand) but on many cameras you can just adjust the back focus far enough so you dont need to use the adapter.

Got a picture of the lens?

thanks for the repsonse Ken!

The specs for the camera in question states that the lens is a 3.5~8 Manual Lens. So I am guessing this means the one that I can just go adjust manually right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I will go get a picture of the lens and post it.

Well, I just went out to the camera and thought I could adjust the lens manually, but there seems to be a protective plate on top of it. I got a picture of it but don't know how to post it here, lol I'm a noob at these things. I believe it's a Sony camera, with the model no: G4-HRS-480