So I landed a gig with a local shop in town that I've been working with for the past few months. They wanted to purchase a costco system and I easily sold against it, without a demonstration of our video quality.

But after the install, the guy went to costco and compared his video, called me, and stated that costco had better image quality. Installation was 95% done so I thought I would go see what the scoop was.

I show up and the video was horrible. Probably the worst image quality I have ever seen. I started to inspect the system and troubleshoot but the monitor & DVR was mounted up high and I didn't have a ladder. I asked if I could stand on his office chair.

So I'm first thinking I need to run a video feed straight to the monitor to start troubleshooting, but I find that my installer had installed all 7 camera feeds into the DVR on the video loop output of each channel. Every single picture was horrible but what I couldn't believe is that the DVR would accept a video signal from a videou output source.

Anybody else experience this? Have you accidentally installed the video onto the video loop out on the DVR and still got some kind of picture? I thought it was hilarious and my customers did too thankfully!

Loop thru switchers loop the inputs, ie the output isn't an output (sometimes written as OUT) but a terminated input.

So yes, I 've seen this before....you were probably seeing a double termination.

you can use either one ... on most muxes ..

useful when using baluns which can be too tight fit when connected side by side (some of them) or T-Connectors ...

so you alternate them ..

Sounds like the termination switches were set, so as mentioned earlier you get a double (150 ohm) termination.

Usually they would be set to loop through, so like you just said, it would not matter which one you used either would be fine.

Flick the switch though and its no longer a direct short between the two, its a 75 ohm resistor in between the output and the input.... As the cam already is 75 ohm terminated you get two terminations, hence 150 ohms and lousy pic.

Worrying the installer didnt actually notice the bad pic on all cams before he left.......

Forgot to ask .. what type of mux is it? I like the GE ones .. auto termination .. much better quality images than the OEM models also ..

It was a samsung standalone dvr.

The installer left in a hurry, trying to finish the job and didn't have time to finish. The customer wanted some type of video up to show a guy that was coming in the following morning so the installer did what he could in the minute before he left....