Sign in to follow this  
GreenApple

What do I need to buy - ancient cameras need a new DVR

Hello - complete novice here... Currently have a defunct DM Sprite 2 controlling 4 ancient cameras outside my workplace. Hasn't worked properly in years - won't record unless it's been unplugged for a few days, then records for a day or so, then the red flashing light is back and no more recording... A rise in anti-social behaviour means police want recordings of what's been happening and I really need to replace the box with a reliable one, as trying to record the live monitor using a phone is proving hard, plus we're not always around when the perpetrators are up to no good...

Research so far has shown I need a hybrid DVR (I think?), but as I have no clue as to what my cameras are (big, stereotypical white things on the outside upper corners - I can't get close!) all I know is they have BNC connectors in my cupboard to plug into the recorder! 

Any help gratefully received - I am on a budget of under £200, and can only replace the box (myself - no techies here to assist) as there is no budget to replace the cameras themselves or the wiring...

GA

Hi good budget ….. you will be surprised the picture quality just by replacing the old DM recorder

for your budget I would get a 8 way so you can still use your existing cameras and add more HD cameras when budget allows

Thank you @tomcctv, that does seem like a good idea to future proof! Do you have any recommendations as to what to buy? I am becoming totally baffled by what is out there and what might work with my old cameras... Many thanks!

hi …. Units that use SuperLive plus app these are TVT or viper units  they are full controllable…. I have many out and not had any faults 

we’re are you located ?? Is this for a business?

I'm based in the South East. It's for an office building, but I am on my own getting this sorted! I'm clueless about what all the acronyms mean and am feeling quite defeated by it all. TVT? Viper unit? I saw this one on Amazon "ANNKE CCTV Surveillance DVR with Hard Drive 1 TB, 8 Channel 5MP Lite H.265+ DVR Video Recorder for CCTV/Analog/AHD/TVI/IP Cameras, Human/Vehicle Detection, Remote Access, Alarm Email with Pictures" which I thought might work....? But worried as none of the pictures of example cameras look as huge, old or industrial as mine! Also, not sure I have network capability for apps, but think it will work without as a standalone unit?

Help!

Hi ANNKE are rebadged systems so could be a hikvision or dahua ……. TVT is a manufacturer 

and with dahua and Kim problems I would give them both a miss ….. it’s cheap all over the uk in some cases 60% off ….. and that’s for a reason 

one of the best systems on the market is the TVT 

It will outlast the ANNKE and much better app and easy for you to install 

Ah ok - thank you! Is there a model you recommend? There are so many choices! It definitely needs to have an internal hard drive (as it will only be connected to a monitor externally), and a way to save footage (to usb?). Ideally I need to order it today or tomorrow!

Hi viper 5mp hybrid dvr 

yes it will save footage to a usb drive …. But it also allows for storage direct to phone or tablet and also send footage via email 

I’ll send you the price you should be buying with hard drive to your pm

Thank you @tomcctv, That's really helpful! Sadly, I can only see them over my £200 budget with a hard drive in :(  Seeing footage on a device would be a plus, but is less essential for me. Argh! This is so hard!