kensplace

Dummy cameras

Any one used any of those outdoor dummy cameras, the ones that sort of look like real outdoor housings, but obviously are fake. Especially the ones that come with the flashing red LED as a big sign to thieves that a dummy is in use.

Are they actually waterproof, or even semi-waterproof (enough so a bit of sealant would finnish of the job) and do they have a good quality front glass?

Reason I ask is I am really tempted to get a couple and stick real cameras in,

then if any toe-rag see them, they will take one look at the obvious fake, complete with flashing led and ignore it - without realising it actually is a real camera disguised as a dummy.

Thats a nice looking case, lovely big red thing on the front (reminds me of those flashing led lamps for bikes).

Manufacturers should sell dummies with real cameras in them (instead of selling real cameras with no internals as dummies, or just dummies that dont look real) that way the bad guys would have no idea if a dummy is real or not.....

Yup, seen that sort of thing, I was refering more to them selling ones that look fake, but are real.

The problem with the sanyo (or any make) ones that actually look real, is the bad guys literally have no idea if they are real or fake, they could be real, so probably assume they are real.

Im more interested in ones that they look at and think, thats a fake, so dont bother trying to

a: Steal it, or worse decide that they have been caught on cctv and have

no choice but to follow through and steal the recording equipment so there is no evidence.

b: Smash it

c: Disable it (either permanantly or temporarily)

d: Avoid detection on it.

e: wont say, as it would give bad guys a clue.

If they think its a fake, they will just ignore it and do the naughty deeds all caught on camera.......

Absolute classics those

I may knock up a case in a similar style, must have a old rubber ducky ariel somewhere I could stick on top (but I love the look of that one shown, so cool), and leds are no problem

The faker looking the better (people in the uk are used to cameras, and in some areas people see a nice camera and dont think, darn a camera I cant burgal here, they think, hmmm I could sell that camera system down the pub for a tenner, or they decide that building has cameras, lets terrorise it....)

As covert is a dodgy area legally in the UK, a obvious non covert (but covert as they *think* its not real) is a good way to go covert legally without problems. At least I think it is

Almost bought one of those, or a very similar one, a while ago on ebay, but got outbid.

My problem is, as I just do cctv for three reasons

1. For Security

2. For fun

3. To learn, its a interesting field, and one that naturally goes with being a programmer.

I find it hard to spend any significant amount of money on kit due to the other half complaining about me buying "junk"

Although she is the first to say "check the cameras" when its needed, and only the other day asked for another one to be installed.....

But she complains when I spend, so I have to keep spending to a minimum (plus I am tight fisted when it comes to spending, like to get a bargain, even if it means doing lots of research/work. I find doing it that way is a great way to learn, anyone can throw cash at a problem and solve it, but they may not understand how it was solved.......)

Your right about the not 100 percent vandal proof bit, oddly extreme disagree, and state in writing its totally vandal resistant - maybe they should update their ads

Nice idea though, and one I would install If I got one cheap, to see what the quality is like (you can never tell by ads alone, learnt that the hard way, and scarily learnt that some manus dont even care if they break the law with their ads, they just dont care......)

I understand ...

You could buy the Dummy Camera version of that same camera ...

EX49yz dummy Dummy dome (no pivot, no gimbal) y = a/b for base, z = c/h/f for tint

Add your own guts ..