All the gear no idea

Kestrel Viewer App not working

Hi Tomcctv - new thread as you requested.

Last month we installed CCTV to our property.
We could view the cameras remotely via our mobiles and tablets.
Yesterday afternoon the login appeared frozen on my iPad but I was still able to view on my iPhone.
Then last night we had a “connect fail” message when we attempted to log in using a Samsung Galaxy tablet and Samsung mobile. However, I could still view using my iPhone.
This morning I cannot log in on my iPhone either.

On the Samsungs we press “log in” and just get the timer scrolling and eventually it says “cannot connect to server.”

On the iPad and iPhone the log in button does nothing, it’s as if it’s frozen.

We are at home so I’ve tried viewing both on our usual wifi connection and via 4G. 
It is still recording onto the hard drive and I can view via a monitor but the app is not working at all.

Another poster on this forum had the same problem happen at the same time last night (see link below) but I don’t know how I can check if it is a Kestrel server problem their end or a problem our end and we need to reinstall the app. 

The Kestrel app has not been updated for 3 years! The app version is too old to work on my son’s new Samsung so he’s never been able to even download it.

The CCTV uses Kestrel turret cameras and an OYN-X 8 Chn 4K POE NVR
https://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/kestrel-5mp-8ch-ip-cctv-kit-with-4x-ip-turret-cameras

Wifi DCHP is ticked but status states “device not detected” and “wifi IP range in conflict with wired IP range.” SSID is blank. IP address shows 4 zeroes as does gateway and subnet mask.
3G/4G status as above, IP address as above. 

Lan DCHP is ticked.

Connectivity  P2P status: connection failed: connect to the server failed.

Coincidentally the other poster has the same statuses as me! Why would we both have the same problems and status happen at the same time if it was a local/home issue rather than a Kestrel app server problem? Rather strange.

Rebooted modem/router and NVR but no joy.

I used the QR Code on the set up wizard to download the Kestrel app when the CCTV was installed.
Cannot access the app to alter any IP settings etc.

As per my user name, I’m not great at technology so an idiot’s guide would be an advantage.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Interesting. Another iPhone user has had the same thing happen to them. They think it appears to have happened since a recent iPhone update.
I guess Kestrel Viewer not updating for 3 years means QVIS is not keeping up with the latest technology.

Why they’d not update an app that is required to remote view their product is beyond me?

Pretty poor service if that is the case and this will affect  many users.

Perhaps an expert/installer on here could contact them on our behalf because they refuse to communicate with consumers of their product.

Could they possibly be updating the app this weekend which is why it’s not working? I hope that’s the case.

Thank you.

Hi. No there not upgrading the app it’s not there app too upgrade ….. it belongs to xmeye 

you should not be using that app anyway ….. it was 10 years ago it was placed on app stores so yes could be coming to an end and have no support

but none of above is your problem. 
you posted a spec sheet of your nvr 

5mp nvr h265 hybrid which uses a different app  not an app made 8 years before your nvr was made

can you post the qr code or pm me the number associated with it ( long numbers &letters)

19 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi. No there not upgrading the app it’s not there app too upgrade ….. it belongs to xmeye 

you should not be using that app anyway ….. it was 10 years ago it was placed on app stores so yes could be coming to an end and have no support

but none of above is your problem. 
you posted a spec sheet of your nvr 

5mp nvr h265 hybrid which uses a different app  not an app made 8 years before your nvr was made

can you post the qr code or pm me the number associated with it ( long numbers &letters)

I used the QR code that was on my set up wizard which was for Kestrel.

For some reason it won’t let me upload the screenshot on here. 

The IE Web says http:/kestrelp2p.com

Hope that helps. Someone on the MSE forum tested it and said the Kestrel P2P server is down. 

If you know another app that works on modern devices that I could use that would be great. 

I do appreciate your help. Thank you  

Hi I can see this post going know we’re 

Kestrel app is not the right app for your system I know that 100% 

If you search qvis in the search bar at top and see who is support going back years 

other ops recorder is made by xmeye 

your recorder is made by dahua or TVT 

if you go into settings then network and at top of screen do you see a tab that says NAT

22 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Hi I can see this post going know we’re 

Kestrel app is not the right app for your system I know that 100% 

If you search qvis in the search bar at top and see who is support going back years 

other ops recorder is made by xmeye 

your recorder is made by dahua or TVT 

if you go into settings then network and at top of screen do you see a tab that says NAT

Under SETTINGS I don’t have a Network tab. It shows: display, general, info, config, account, maintain.

On main menu I have a STORAGE section which contains these tabs: HDD, Network, Back up.

I also have a different NETWORK section which contains these tabs: IP Address, DDNS, P2P, Email

I cannot see a NAT tab under any of them but I may be looking in the wrong section or it’s within another tab.

Sorry, I’m probably not being much help.

1 hour ago, tomcctv said:

Hi if you don’t see NAT tab then that rules out your system being a tvt

so you have the dahua system 

so you need to download 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/dmss/id1493268178

but remove all other apps or you will get a conflict and won’t work

I have deleted Kestrel App.

I have downloaded and registered at DMSS.

I’ve tried to add device by using the QR code but when it scans it says the SN doesn’t exist.

After scanning, the pic of the S/N is just lots of XXX

http is blank

and it also says please enter the security code.

I have entered the the serial number manually but it says unable to detect device.

The NVR is OYN-X. The sticker with the serial number on the back of the NVR says Kestrel. When I click on menu for the NVR is says the model is Kestrel-NVR-8BB type 8 release date 16/1/19

However where under the heading “update firmware version” it states “network abnormal”.

25 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

Ok delete that app and try this one

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/superlive-plus/id1058758642

Thanks.

QR code displayed on monitor tried to connect me to kestrel app.

QR code on bottom of NVR tried to connect me to QVS website which it says is insecure!

Input serial number manually and it doesn’t work. Asks for a security code.

Why does everything on my system point to Kestrel if that is incorrect/out of date?

I’m also concerned that by trying to rectify it yesterday (thinking it was a home wifi problem) I’ve inadvertently changed some system settings especially as it now says “network abnormal” on the upgrade version. I wouldn’t know how to change it back.

Perhaps as the Kestrel P2P server is down they will have rectified it soon. Fingers crossed.

Ok I have just updated the app 

you will need to delete all apps on your devices …. If you don’t it will not work 

I will pm you full instructions to reinstate the app 

31 minutes ago, tomcctv said:

you will need to delete all apps on your devices …. If you don’t it will not work 

Thanks.

All apps deleted.

I’ve reinstalled Kestrel Viewer but it still behaves same as before, as if the screen is “frozen” so I can’t type anything in to log in.

Hi  on your iPhone got to settings then scroll down till you see kestrel viewer and switch off local network (top one)

then try the app again but don’t press login … bottom left you will see local login click that and follow the instructions 

18 minutes ago, All the gear no idea said:

Had an email from QVIS support this morning.

It says they are currently looking into the issues with the Kestrel Viewer App.

Try your kestrel viewer app now. The server was down just like we thought. Sorry Tom you were wrong in this situation 

1 hour ago, KMc said:

Try your kestrel viewer app now. The server was down just like we thought. Sorry Tom you were wrong in this situation 

See this is why support don’t help 

read the post 3 up …… I was wrong was I 

18 hours ago, tomcctv said:

and it was not down to start with …. Just some phones and pads need settings changing …. 

3 hours ago, tomcctv said:

See this is why support don’t help 

read the post 3 up …… I was wrong was I 

and it was not down to start with …. Just some phones and pads need settings changing …. 

Sorry Tom, I wasn’t having a go. I was grateful of all your time and help