Sign in to follow this  
mayday1

Help needed please

Hi, I’m hoping someone here might be able to help us.

We have an issue with a neighbour, as do most other residents here. The police have been involved a number of times and said he’s unstable and to keep a record of things. We naively got ring cameras but he seems to be able to jam or hack these and stop them working whenever he steps out of his front door. They always work the rest of the time though.

We need a backup of some sort but in all honesty can’t really afford an all singing all dancing proper cctv system. So, we’re looking for some kind of camera that will constantly record so that we have a backup when the rings stop working. He’s an IT wizz so we’re wary of getting anything that relies on Wi-Fi as he can probably hack them. I’m not being dramatic here, this is the kind of thing he does.

I was looking for something that might record constantly and save to an sd card or a hard drive and doesn’t need fixing to the outside wall? We were thinking of having a camera in an upstairs window.

if you’ve read this far then thank you and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi what part of the world are you in as countries has different rights

if your ring goes off line when he is about then you need to check if he is not on your Wi-Fi (access to your router)

Use an app something like…. net analyzer

this will tell you who is on your network it also helps police as you will have a record of his IP address 

hiding cameras behind windows can give you problems in both camera image quality and secret recording of others

ring doorbell is just a doorbell not a cctv system a real cctv is not expensive and is your best option 

Thank you. We’re in the UK. We’ll look into net analyzer. I’ve used the BT app to see what devices are online at the times I spot it happening but there’s never anything on there we don’t recognise. The ring doorbell always stays online, it’s the ring cameras that go off every time he comes near our house. It’s getting a cctv system fitted that makes it costly from what I’ve researched. 

What part of the uk ?

if your with BT give them a call and ask them to change your iP address …. They usually do it in a hour or so …. You won’t even see a break in your internet

go to what’s myIp and write down your current iP address which will show on your screen …. And then check it after you have talked with BT 

as far as cctv cost it is not expensive just start with two cameras ….. are you a house of flats? And what is your budget