Sign in to follow this  
All the gear no idea

Hard drive faulty? OYN-X NVR

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

We have an OYN-X NVR 2TB with 4 Kestrel 8MP cameras.

We have motion detect set up on 2 cameras which sends an alert and records whatever triggered it.

On Tuesday morning I checked any overnight alerts as I usually do each morning. 
Although the alerts showed on the log on my ‘phone, when I clicked on them to playback they just stated “buffering” and then “connect fail”.

I went to my monitor which is attached to the NVR to see if I could view them from there and when I clicked on play, it stated “no video”.

So the motion detection had set off and logged the alarm but it didn’t appear to record it.

I rebooted the NVR to see if that would solve the problem. It did not. However the hard drive did make a continuous “churning” noise (as if trying to read the disc over and over) when it was switched back on which was only stopped by switching it off and on again.

I then thought perhaps the hard drive was full and for some reason was not overwriting the old recordings so I formatted it.

It still didn’t solve the problem.

I cannot view anything by remote playback at all not just the alarms. 

If I do a search for any recordings since Tuesday (when I formatted it) it says none found.

On the hard drive details it states “normal” and total space 1.81TB and free space 1.81TB. Surely it should have used up some space to record since the Tuesday formatting? 

My system is set to “auto-reboot” every Tuesday at 2am. It was Tuesday morning when I was unable to view anything. Is this just a coincidence or significant?

Is there anyway I can test to see if it is a hard drive fault or if it’s something else?

The system is only 3 months old.

I can still view all 4 cameras “Live” on my ‘phone and tablet when at home or away from the house so I don’t feel it is a network issue.

Sorry for such a long post but any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

9 hours ago, All the gear no idea said:

No it uses the Kestrel Viewer app.

Hi  ….. for a system 3 months old  …… did you buy yourself or installer ?

the kestrel app is old ….. no updates in 4 years also 4K cameras (8mp) will not be running 4K on that system so will only be running 5mp

i would also agree with you that it’s starting to look like hard drive issues with you getting the noise

but it’s which way you go ….. try new hard drive or buy new nvr with hard drive 

nvrs are not expensive 

we’re are you based

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Kestrel app was recently updated, June I think, so that it worked on newer ‘phones.

Bought it and installed ourselves and paid for retailer to upgrade HD from 1TB to 2TB.

Looked at system this morning and the storage had decreased from 1.81TB to 1.64TB so it looks like it’s recorded or tried to record something.

However, when I try to playback anything on the system it brings up the video player “window” but there’s nothing to play. If I move the “dot” along the play line further still nothing plays.

I tried to attach a photo on here of the screens but it won’t upload because it stated it’s over 1.2mb.

Based in Lincs.

Hi June was not a update it was a privacy statement and it only applied to android 

App Store was not updated with privacy statement 

so it’s still 4 years old even on play store the last review was 2021

i know every qvis system in and out been using them for 18 years 

the name Kestrel is on a number of there systems which is why I first asked the app you was using …… some kestrels are xmeye or dahua or TVT….. kestrel viewer being the oldest 

Your hard drive will show usage even if no recordings

are your cameras Poe …. Direct into nvr ?

you might need to re-add your cameras to each channel

it is also worth looking at how it’s setup …. It should always be on motion record …. Alarm notification is something you add on the camera channel 

Thanks.

Kestrel was the app given on the Setup Wizard.

This is what we have: https://www.jmcsecure.co.uk/kestrel-8mp-8ch-ip-cctv-kit-with-4x-motorised-zoom-ip-turret-cameras

Yes, I added the alarm notifications myself for motion detect.

I cannot watch any of the alarm videos or any remote playback from the actual NVR.

I can watch live cameras from the monitor connected to the NVR and also through the Kestrel App so I don’t think it’s a wifi or app issue. I can also view the live cameras when I’m not at home.

Hi ok both camera and nvr are 2019 

if you remove the hard drive or just unplug it in the unit and then startup your system you will see it do the same as now …. No recordings which points to hard drive

but like I said in post if it is the hard drive you would be better replacing the recorder only as cameras are good there is not much difference in price of hard drive vs nvr 

that link you posted shows same recorder at £385 with HD …. But same problem app is coming to an end the updated nvr is around £255. With HD

if you have a old pc … use that hard drive and format it once you install into nvr

if you rely on alerts then a nvr using SuperLive plus … which is the best app made 

you have full control over nvr with the app including camera settings 

I just changed the weekly scheduled reboot for a few minutes ago (usually it’s 2am Tuesday) so that I could see what happened.

Upon start up I got an error message “hard disk not formatted” then an icon of SAT1 with a “?” and SAT2 with an “X” (I think it said SAT, it definitely began with S)

I went into the HDD settings and it says:

1. sda Status Not formatted

2. No disk 

I clicked on 1 and then “Format” and the status changed to Normal.

I rebooted again.

Same error message came up about the hard disk not being formatted?

Why is it showing unformatted when I just did it?

Hi. SATA is the type of hard drive 

sata ? Will be your main and only hard drive

sata x means a hard drive is not connected

not that I think it’s going to do you any good… but your next step is to go into menu and click factory re-set and then try to format again 

But only 3 months old I would return it and get the viper

i would also ask the question way was it sold to you in the first place knowing it had no updates or app updates since 2019

i see on there website that if you bought everything seperate 

4 cameras 1 nvr it comes to nearly £700

buy the same as a kit and it’s £380 with 2tb hard drive  …. Shows it’s end of line 

brand new viper with hard drive is £270

Thanks for helping me.

I’m not very techy and I can’t find out where/how to factory reset. Also if I do factory reset will it go back to the default password because I don’t know what that is?

Thanks.

Edit: I’ve looked on YouTube and it states under “maintain” there’s a “default” button. There is no default button on my system under that tab.

Well new NVR arrived today.

I’d hoped it would be a straight forward plug in cameras and go, but no such luck!

As soon as I switched it on I got the SAT1 needs formatting  message!

I formatted it and this time it is recording. I have checked remote playback and alarms on the monitor and both play videos. 

I couldn’t get my old Kestrel Viewer account on my tablet or ‘phone to pick up the Live View (it stated “the equipment has been off-line). I couldn’t work out how to fix this so I set up a new account name and could now Live View. Remote playback also works. 
I didn’t need to redo the motion detection areas because it was still stored from previously. However if the alarm goes off I can view it on the monitor but not on my tablet or ‘phone!  
I know this is user error and something I’ve set up incorrectly but when I go into alarm configuration on my ‘phone I get this message “ip directly connected to device does not support the alarm settings”. 
What does this mean please?

It supported it on my old NVR until the HDD went wrong so what have I done wrong? I need to be able to view alarms from my ‘phone.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

hi which mobile are you using are you iOS or android 

your right it’s an app problem … I have been saying from the start the app is too old and no longer supported by qvis

mobile phones / pads and PCs update often and apps must keep up with there updates

if you are using a Samsung then you have more problems to come

but for now … go into app look for notifications and make sure they are switched on

i don’t understand you saying you never had to setup motion…… this is something you need to setup

12 hours ago, tomcctv said:

hi which mobile are you using are you iOS or android 

your right it’s an app problem … I have been saying from the start the app is too old and no longer supported by qvis

mobile phones / pads and PCs update often and apps must keep up with there updates

if you are using a Samsung then you have more problems to come

but for now … go into app look for notifications and make sure they are switched on

i don’t understand you saying you never had to setup motion…… this is something you need to setup

Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying and for trying to help me.

I’ll try to explain myself better...

3 months ago I set up motion detection alarms for the cameras on the original NVR.

This worked perfectly and we received alarm notifications via Kestrel Viewer on our ‘phones and tablets (we have both iOS and Android devices) and we were able to playback the alarm alerts on our devices.

The HDD failed on the original NVR so it was replaced with a new NVR.

With the new NVR, I plugged in the original cameras into the back and was able to view them “live” on the monitor attached to the new NVR but not on the Kestrel app - when I accessed the cameras on the app it stated “this equipment has been offline.” 

I couldn’t work out how to get the live view working on the app so decided it would quicker to just set up a new kestrel account and use the QVR code to have the remote viewing.

Live view and remote playback both work on the new Kestrel account however alarm alerts do not.

When the new NVR was plugged in, the motion detection areas that I had set up with the cameras (the cameras have not been changed) were still there so I did not need to set them up again.

With the original/old Kestrel account I could view alarm alerts remotely via Kestrel Viewer.

With the new Kestrel account I cannot.

On page 2 of this link 

https://ssscctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/How-to-activate-PUSH.pdf

it shows the configuration button under the “alarm” section. If I click on it under my new Kestrel account and click on my camera device name I get the message “IP directly connected device does not support the alarm settings”.

On page 4 of that link it shows “alarm notifications” under “PTZ steps”.

On my old Kestrel account this button was there.

On my new Kestrel account this button is NOT there!

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Kestrel Viewer ensuring Push Notifications are enabled but the “alarm notifications” never shows now.

I appreciate you saying that this is an old app but it’s the one that came with the NVR so, unless there is another one compatible, I’m stuck with it!

I just can’t understand why the alarm notifications button has disappeared for the new account. I’ve changed nothing on the camera set up, only the NVR has changed so why does it now say that the IP device does not support alarm settings?

I can view alarm alerts on the monitor attached to the NVR.

I’m close to throwing the NVR out of the window!

Please help. I’m stumped.

An update since my last post with some more (hopefully) helpful information…

Yesterday I reinstalled Kestrel Viewer on my iPhone and iPad and since then they no longer show the “Alarm Notifications” tab as stated above.

However, on my husbands Samsung tablet I didn’t reinstall Kestrel Viewer, I just used the new account log in.
The “alarm notifications” tab DOES still show on there.  However, if I go into the configuration I do get the “IP device does not support alarm settings” message. 
What does that mean please? I think that is the key here. Why is it saying that and how do I rectify it?

Thanks for reading.

Hi. It does not matter how you explain it the outcome is going to be the same 

go back to your first post I said the app is too old. It has not been updated for over 3 years and it won’t be

you setup your nvr with the qr code……. This takes you to a server that controls alarm notifications….. but no longer supported…. It has come to the end of its life

i did say send the recorder back and get the viper

Your apple devices will of worked up till the last apple update .(14 days ago) NOT app update but phone update

also the app on iOS will be removed soon as no data policy has been added

this is why I said in earlier posts don’t waste money only to have to buy again  

however…… you can still setup motion and alarms on the recorder and it will send you notifications via email  …. (Which most modern systems do now)