Esso Oil

No green motion indicators on Hikvision NVR after firmware update

Hi.

I really would appreciate any help with the following problem.

My equipment is genuine Hikvision:
DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR
DS-2CD2142FWD-I Dome Cameras

This time yesterday, when playing back footage on the NVR I could see the green motion markers on the playback bar to show where motion was detected.

Anyone who uses Hikvision NVRs and Hikvision cameras will know how useful these green indicators are when reviewing footage.

Today I decided to update the NVR firmware to the latest version (wish I hadn't).

My NVR Firmware was V3.4.105 which was the old interface from a few years ago with the big chunky icons. I upgraded to V4.72.107.

The latest firmware gives me a brand new user interface. I could possibly could get used this, but...

PROBLEM: The green motion indicators have vanished. Completely gone from all previous footage from before the update and not appearing on new footage. Now I just see one continuous blue timeline when I play back footage.

Only yesterday I was reviewing some footage from last week and all the footage had the green motion markers whenever my cameras had detected movement.

Also, I no longer get the real-time dynamic analysis of motion when somebody walks through the red boxes when I'm on the "Motion Detection" screen. Again, I was just using this the other day to check a door way. I walked through the door and all of the little red boxes lit up to show it was detecting motion.

I know the motion detection is still working because the new interface has a little alarm bell in the top right of the screen. When I click on it and look at the "Basic Event" screen the centre column labeled "Alarm/Exception" shows all of the "Motion Detection" events. There is also a useful play button which will play each of the motion detection events.  I actually really like this feature, but I also need to see the green motion indicators on the timeline.

QUESTION: Have Hikvision removed these green motion indicators from the NVR playback footage?

I know Hikvision removed the motion indicators from the web interface a few years ago because of some story about bandwidth or processing, but you could still see the green motion indicators when watching footage on the NVR.

I thought the firmware on my cameras might need upgrading so have upgraded both of them to the latest firmware. Old version V5.4.5. New version V5.5.82. Still no green motion indicators on playback timeline.

I have connected to the cameras and on the "Motion" screen the checkbox for "Enable motion detection" is ticked and the checkbox for "Enable dynamic analysis for emotion" is also ticked.

All my settings look exactly as they did before, with the exception of (sorry to say it again) no green motion indicators when I'm viewing footage on my NVR.

As a last resort I am thinking about rolling back the firmware, but I know doing that is not a good idea.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Does anyone who is reading this have the latest firmware on their NVR (or have a newer NVR) and can see the green motion indicators on their timeline when playing back footage?

I should have known better than to update the firmware on a device that I was completely happy with.

I really would appreciate any help or advice with regards to this.

Hi.. green / blue / red/ yellow are standard on most systems 

if your timeline is only blue then your system is continuously recording

you need to setup motion 

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I have provided a photo that shows the little green motion markers that I am talking about. I took this photo on my other Hikvision NVR that does not have the upgraded Firmware.

This is also set to continuously record so the timeline is blue but the smart motion detectors are apparently something that is done by the actual cameras and this makes it really easy to look at an hours worth of footage and instantly see where there has been any motion

20230925_211523.jpg

I have also attached a photo that shows the dynamic analysis of motion when movement is detected on the "Motion Detection" screen.

I was just using this the other day to check a door way. I walked through the door and all of the little red boxes lit up to show it was detecting motion.

The photo below is from my second NVR which I have not upgraded.

These boxes are now just blank after upgrading the firmware. I can walk about in front of the camera but no movement is detected and none of the boxes light up.

These two photos show what used to happen and it does not happen now.

Screenshot_20230925_213842_Gallery.jpg

26 minutes ago, Esso Oil said:

These boxes are now just blank after upgrading the firmware. I can walk about in front of the camera but no movement is detected and none of the boxes light up.

Hi. When blank it means no motion area 

when you drag mouse over area you want motion detection then that is filled in

with out doing this you will not get the green indication on your playback bar

Hi thanks for the reply.

What I meant by blank, was that the red boxes do not light up (are all still empty) when there is obvious movement in front of the camera. I make sure I select the entire area and then click apply to save the settings.

The photo I provided shows what these boxes look like on my NVR without the upgraded firmware.  On the NVR I have upgraded I can do a dance in front of the camera but none of the red squares light up.

Having done more research into this and having posted my question on a few other forums it appears the latest Hikvision NVR firmware has simply done away with these features.

My previous NVR Firmware was V3.4.105 (old style interface). I'm thinking about finding the latest V3.x.x Firmware (so pre V4) and doing a Firmware rollback.

Does anyone have any experience of rolling back to older versions of firmware? I know the manufacturers frown upon this, but in reality people do this all the time. I am willing to risk bricking my NVR to try and get back the features that I want.

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Wow ….. such an easy fix 

let’s go through your pictures 

your picture at front of building ONLY SHOWS motion in window and door area 

Yellow green blue red …. Is standard across the industry …… it’s the same as traffic lights … same all over the world 

blue is continuously there is no motion as recording is set to 24hr

this is done via settings in recording or in schedule recording (which overrides) manual settings…. So check schedule and clear them all

Hikvision have not done away with motion detection markers on play screen

11 hours ago, tomcctv said:

Wow ….. such an easy fix 

let’s go through your pictures 

your picture at front of building ONLY SHOWS motion in window and door area 

Yellow green blue red …. Is standard across the industry …… it’s the same as traffic lights … same all over the world 

blue is continuously there is no motion as recording is set to 24hr

this is done via settings in recording or in schedule recording (which overrides) manual settings…. So check schedule and clear them all

Hikvision have not done away with motion detection markers on play screen

Please don't say "wow such an easy fix" and then not provide clear instructions precisely how it can be fixed.

I provided an image that clearly shows a continuous blue timeline with green motion indicators beneath it.

I do not get this at all with the upgraded interface. Kindly provide detailed instructions how I can get the green motion indicators back beneath the blue timeline when playing back recorded footage.

The upgraded NVR is at my other property. I will take a photograph of that playback screen next time I am there and then post it on here.

Screenshot_20230925_213153_Chrome.jpg

Also, you said:

"blue is continuously there is no motion as recording is set to 24hr"

If there is no motion, why am I getting the smart motion indicators beneath the blue continuous timeline?

Remember the images are from the nvr that has not been upgraded. This is what I want to achieve on the upgraded NVR.

14 hours ago, Esso Oil said:

The upgraded NVR is at my other property. I will take a photograph of that playback screen next time I am there and then post it on here.

So you don’t have access through out this post to the recorder with the problem

so you haven’t looked into systems record mode or record schedules 

You are just being deliberately awkward tomcctv.

I spent the best part of four hours trying everything I could think of when I was at my other property to get the green motion indicators to display.

I then drove home and created this post.

You said it was an "easy fix" so I simply ask you to explain how to do it. Instead of being helpful you just make two pointless comments.

The blue timeline on the upgraded nvr simply does not have the green indicators below it. There is nothing really to show, I just said I would take a photo for comparison.

If anybody was able to provide some easy instructions of what I am doing wrong I could try this next time I was there to see if it worked.

As for the systems record mode and record schedules, they are exactly precisely identical to the record mode and record schedule of the nvr in the photograph. It is set to 24/7 continuous recording with all of the motion detection settings on.

I do receive alerts from the hik-connect website on my mobile phone and can view motion alerts on the updated interface which as I said in the original post is useful, I just do not get the green markers.

Screenshot_20230925_213153_Chrome.jpg